Identification: ??What is this succulent house plant??

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by izz385, Jun 3, 2008.

1. izz385

izz385 Member

Hello everyone!
    I was hoping that someone could help me identify this houseplant that I purchased in Tennessee. The label that came with the plant simply stated that is was a house plant and it did not specify its name. When I first received it, it was very crowded in its pot and upon taking it out of its container I discovered that it was incredibly root bound. I transferred it to the larger pot that it is in the picture. The plant had tiny purple-pink flowers with it when I first purchased it but unfortunately after repotting those died back. It has simple, smooth leaves that alternate from the stem. I think it is a type of succulent plant since it feels fleshy and slightly stiff. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)
    -L

Attached Files:

2. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

It looks like a Kalanchoe. Unfortunately they are usually grown primarily for their blossoms and the entire plant is generally discarded when the flowers fade. They tend to produce unattractive growth and it's difficult to get them to flower again. Moving it to another pot may or may not have been what caused your flowers to die, it may have simply been past it's flowering period.

3. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

Kalanchoe, Mother of Millions, it seems. The blooms are known to last a rather long time but as was earlier suggested, bloom period may have passed. Regarding rootbound environments, a good many plants actually thrive and only bloom in rootbound conditions.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it's a kalanchoe. what particular variety i don't know...looks kind of familiar to one i used to have. and that one bloomed repeatedly.

it's not mother of millions, i don't think.

do some googling for kalanchoe. there are a LOT of varieties.

5. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Since when are Kalanchoe monocotyledons?

Also Kalanchoe have opposite leaves not alternate.

Its Tradescantia cerinthoides, formerly known as T. blossfeldiana.

Tradescantia require far too much light to grow well to make good "house plants".

They are also fleshy not succulent, so water frequently.

6. izz385

izz385 Member

Thank you to everyone who replied. Steve, It is a Tradescantia cerinthoides! I googled for pictures and the flowers matched those that had bloomed earlier on my plant. Thanks again everyone!
    -L

7. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

Learn something new everyday. Thank you!