What is this strange bug??? ( with photo)

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by GreenLeaf, Dec 18, 2005.

1. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

Over the past few weeks, I found this bug here and there in my home, usually one at a time, occasionally in groups of several. I don't know if these bugs have any connections to my plants (none are harmed as I've checked). I see them on walls, on tables, on counters, even near some food crumbs in the kitchen. They're a little smaller than a grain of rice. Yes, they do move (but very slowly). Maybe they're insect larva? What is it/where does it come from? What's the best way to remove it? I am so sick of these things!!!

Thanks for any help!
    Any info leading to removing these bugs will be very much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Search "larder beetle", see what you find. That's what I call them.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

We lost some tropical tropical buttefly specimens to them. Didn't notice what was up until the wings slumped out of position.

5. Tim Yoho

Tim Yoho Member

I agree with previous ID. The picture is of a Dermestid beetle larva (Family Dermestidae). The adults are often found on flowers but the larvae are scavengers and feed on a wide variety of materials including leather, furs, woolens, stored food material and are the bane of entomologists like myself who have to remember to keep moth crystals in insect collections. I suggest using crystals with any preserved nonfood items and immediatedly bag and discard vacuum sweepings.

I am BTY new to the forum and would be glad to answer any insect, spider, tick questions from viewers.

Tim Yoho
    Bug Doctor