What is this plant called?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Nick Bryan, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Nick Bryan

Nick Bryan New Member

I have had it since march when it had to leaves, I have seen similar plants but with more pronounced white patterns on them, this ones are kind of subtle. Still have not found what its scientific name is.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 2.JPEG
      2.JPEG
      File size:
      206.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPEG
      1.JPEG
      File size:
      226.5 KB
      Views:
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

3. Nick Bryan

Nick Bryan New Member

Thank you!! I am still very intrigued by the various patterns, some having more than others.
    More species within one single species or something like that? Or particular climates or light, or... no idea. Interesting... Would like to know more

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps this plant has partially reverted to an all green form because of incompatible cultural conditions, insufficient light for example.

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Agreed.
    I have 2 Dieffenbachia plants: one is smallish and mostly green-leaved; the other, twice as tall with big strikingly variegated leaves. The big one is cuttings from the small one. Amazing difference between the two---and yes, the big plant has been in a much sunnier location than its parent.

7. Nick Bryan

Nick Bryan New Member

Thank you. That is kind of odd... This plant, I consider, is exposed to good amounts of light. It is against a west facing window where it gets lots of light from 12 pm to 5:30 pm.
    Even before 12 pm, this window has no curtains, so the room has lots of non direct light before 12 pm.
    I tried something even though I kind of suspected this would happen. Although it is against a west facing window, it was in a spot where not all sides of the plant would get direct sun light, but I moved it a few centimeters where almost all the leaves would get direct sun light the whole afternoon, and yes...it did not like it, the top leaf's tip faded, became yellow, and whitish, basically scorched, and not just the very tip, it did cause very visible damage to that very leaf. It does not like direct sun light for too many hours.

Maybe in this case it is something else... I will just let it continue to grow bigger and see if it magically produces more of the white patterns later on ahahah.