What is this Palm?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by ewc79, Jul 10, 2005.

1. ewc79

ewc79 Member

My wife and I were driving around taking pictures of trees we like. We recently bought a new house and are landscaping. I have seen this Palm all over and love it. I live in Central Florida. I have not seen it at Home Depot, Lowes, Super Wal-Mart, etc. and was wondering what its name is and if anyone knows where I could get one. I like the thicker looking Palm trees. This one is nice because of its spiney look. I also like the Palms with the large round ball on the trunk.

If anyone knows the name of this tree it would be greatly appreciated. I have not looked through the Palm forum yet so I will look there too.

Thanks!
    Eric

Attached Files:

2. Unas

Unas Member

I do believe that is the Florida State Tree; the Sabal Palm, as i too live in Central Florida and see it growing every where. The Sabal Palm is like a weed that is almost impossible to get rid of, which sprouts at random or in clusters. You could have one sprouting in your lawn and mow it over with a lawn mower until it stops your mower dead as it will keep growing. Then you will always have to mow around it and yes it is a very attractive palm with its wide trunk.

3. ewc79

ewc79 Member

Thanks. I would like one of these palms. It is nice to know that they must grow well then in FL. If I don't get this one then I may get a Queen Palm.

Thanks

4. breakaway90210

breakaway90210 Member

I think it is a Sabal Pal as well. It almost resembles a date palm but shorter.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

It's Sabal palmetto and has costa-palmate leaves. The date palm (Phoenix dactyifera) has pinnate leaves and does not resemble a Sabal.

Cheers, LPN.

6. Nakelly

Nakelly Member

Yes, it is a Sabal palmetto, confirmed by my husband who has lived in Central/West Florida all his life, is an interior landscaper and has grown palms as a nursery owner.