Identification: What is this one...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jwsandal, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

Looking for help identifying this japanese maple. It was purchased as A.p. 'Tsukushigata' from a local and reputable Japanese Maple nursery. In short, it aint... I have come to the conclusion that this happens way to often. Either way it is a unique and attractive grafted maple that I love.

It comes out a unique dark chocolate brown color and tends to bronze out quickly in the heat off the southeast. Distinct green veining also shows up as bronzing occurs. The leaves are large, 7 to 9 lobed, with occasional blunting of the middle lobe but this is infrequent. The leaves also appear to turn down consistently. The top of the stem appears to be dark chocolate brown with green stems on the shaded side and the limbs also show some white streaks and spots as well. Fall color, if I, remember is a scarlet and ornage coloration.

It appears to grow fairly quickly and be round headed in nature and is around 3 foot x 2 foot container grown in 4 years in my particular growing conditions.

I was thinking maybe 'Chikumano' but have never seen this cultivar. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Justin

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

maybe Mirte!

3. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

Thanks alex- looks like Mirte is as likley as anything- I will post a couple of the others soon that I am unsure of for help...

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Unnamed seedling used for rootstock of what you were supposed to have gotten, the scion having died and been replaced by sprouts from the stock?

5. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

ronb- I had a 4th picture i could not attach of graft and bark of the grafted tree to help in the ID- I have 2 others to post when I get time that I feel are incorrectly identified as well... thx
    justin

6. Fabrice

Fabrice Active Member Maple Society

My Fior d'Arancio looks like this.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

And probably a dozen others. Even if compared with a labeled specimen and found to match - unless the one with the label comes from the same supplier, is the only one they sold at the same time with the same size and appearance - they won't necessarily be the same introductions. There are lots of closely similar Japanese maple cultivars.

8. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

thanks fabrice- I think that cultivar looks the most similiar and I had not considered it.

Ron B- for what it is worth, once I question the identity of any cultivars in my collection, I no longer graft those unless someone tells me they cant live without it. Even then, it comes with no identifying tag, and they (the collector) understand I have no idea what it is. I still like trying to create a 'short list' of what it might be. So I would like to think then tht the 'mistake' ends with me, at least for that particular mislabeled plant.

justin