Identification: What is this gooey stuff??

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by sarabittle, Aug 8, 2009.

1. sarabittle

sarabittle Member

What is this stuff at the base of my shade plants? This slime like rubbery stuff? Its gets wrapped around the base of ... mostly hostas... but any shade plant really.

Attached Files:

• 038.jpg
      038.jpg
      File size:
      281.1 KB
      Views:
    • 039.jpg
      039.jpg
      File size:
      219.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Sarabittle,

If you touched it - was it firm/rubbery to the touch, or did it squish to nothing in your fingers like slime?

In the closeup, the appearance of the area near the orange coloured bit looks like the way jelly fungi look when they dry up.
    Have you noticed a difference in appearance when this is wet or dry, or does it progressively change from one state to another, or does it stay the same at all times?

thanks
    frog

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Still waiting on a friend to look at this for us...we've something like it growing in my area as well? Only in the shady woods.......another question to add to frog's...........is it smooth, velvety or....?

4. sarabittle

sarabittle Member

Yes it is dry and rubbery to the touch. And I don't really notice it until, there it is. But there is a little sopt elsewhere in the same garden that is like blue velvety growth. I am guessing that is the same thing starting. But I removed as much as I could so I guess now I wont find out any time soon.
    Oh and those orange bits... are pine needles if that helps with the size... I got close.

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Really the only thing I'm coming up with is Sebacina incrustans or maybe another kind of Sebacina? Not sure...The ones I'm familiar with tend to either dissappear shortly after appearing...or become huge 'globs' that grow all over the plants it begins in.

6. Harri Harmaja

Harri Harmaja Active Member 10 Years