Identification: What is this fruit tree?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by chester5139, Apr 9, 2013.

1. chester5139

chester5139 Member

It might be a stupid question, but what is this fruit tree? I am guessing apple or cherry? These photos were taken this morning.
    Last year, there was no flowering/ fruiting because ants and aphids sucked up the tree saps, causing the leaves to curl inward. This spring, there are some tiny green flying bugs attracted to this tree.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

Sweet cherry.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It's a cherry. I'm a little surprised by the bronze new leaves, but it still looks like Prunus avium of some sort. I can't tell if it's a cultivar - if it will produce cherries that will be good to eat (by humans - you seem to have your answer for the rest of the animal kingdom).

4. chester5139

chester5139 Member

Thanks for the identification. Does the bronze new leaves indicate any tree disease? I am trying to fix this cherry tree. Could you suggest any method to make it healthier and pest-proof?

5. wcutler

I can't offer advice, but the bronze leaves look ok. Some cherry cultivars just do open with bronze leaves. I didn't think it was the case for Prunus avium, but now that my brain kicks in, I realize I do know of one - here's a link to Schmitt Cherry, an ornamental P. avium hybrid.

6. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

Are you sure that it is a fruiting variety? To me the large single white to very pale pink flowers and heavily veined leaves that are bronze when young suggest the ornamental cherry cultivar 'Taihaku' ( http://www.photosbotanical.com/img15390.htm ).

7. wcutler

It's the curled back sepals I was going by, even on the blossoms just opening, not characteristic of most of the ornamentals, except for the avium hybrid ones. Also the pole-shape of the tree. Well, and these flowers look like they're in umbels; 'Tai Haku' should be in corymbs.

I was also guessing these blossoms to be around 3cm or less in diameter, whereas 'Tai Haku' would be more like 5-6cm.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Prunus avium often has leaves tinted at first.