Identification: What is the name of this unusual wild plant?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Sundrop, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

What is the name of this unusual wild plant? The first picture was taken 2011-05-19, the second 2011-07-18 and the third 2011-08-17. The flower stalk on the third picture is over 2 ft. tall.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Sundrop

Thank you Daniel.
    The flowers on my plant are not completely green, rather light yellowish-green, the flower stalk on my plant is over 2 ft. tall and the flowers and seeds spaced much more densely than at your link, but those things may vary depending on the growing conditions I believe.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The height of the plant ranges from 20-100cm tall. Did you view all of the photos in the associated photo gallery? I think the ones from the second set by Rod Innes match the plant you've pictured for density of flowers...and on the second page of the gallery, the photos from Jamie Fenneman seem to have lighter-coloured flowers.

5. Sundrop

They grow here on my property in the West Kootenays under/close to Pine trees. I have even seen one with variegated leaves.