What is the mossy ground cover in the Nitobe Gardens?

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by mbcline, Sep 3, 2007.

1. mbcline

mbcline Member

I am new to gardening. I want to turn my back yard into a japanese garden. Currently it has grass. Yesterday I visited the Nitobe Japanese gardens at UBC to try to get some ideas of what I could do. I noticed that much of the ground was covered by a short mossy covering that looked very nice to walk on.

Does anyone know what this is?
    Is there somewhere where I can get some?
    If I bought it, would it come as seeds? How do I plant this?
    Would it be practical in a backyard?
    What kind of growing conditions does it require.
    Does it stand up to being walked on?

Thanks!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The mossy ground cover is actually moss - and there are a number of species present in the garden.

My suggestion is to call the NMG garden gatehouse at 604-822-6038 and request a Mosses of Nitobe Garden brochure (I think they're the place most likely to have one of them)

3. mbcline

mbcline Member

I went to Nitobe Gardens, but the person at the gate did not know of any brochures with information about the moss.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Duly noted, I'll forward this to the person who made the brochure.

5. Ingrid Hoff

Ingrid Hoff Active Member

My apologies mbcline (and thanks to Daniel for pointing this out). The Mosses of Nitobe brochure is in the process of being "re-vamped" and reprinted. We hope to have them in the Gatehouse in the next couple of weeks.
    I would be happy to place a posting here once they are in the Gatehouse.
    Regards,
    Ingrid