What is Sea Moss ?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Huon, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Huon

Huon Member

Im trying to identify this plant and having very little success

Images of it attached
    The part of the plant shown is, I think, the dried seed-head which has some fine elongated leaves still attached to it which you cannot see.

Stem is woody and the flowerheads/seedheads are very fine and delicate.

It is used to make fake treees for modelling... the process for making it into a "fake tree" in the image FTI.

Would love to find out what it really is, it is sold as "Sea Moss" or ocaisionally "Sea Foam".

Attached Files:

2. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Hi Huon,

I see nobody has tackled this one, so I contacted a friend of mine who is an expert on model railways. He asked around the modelling community and it would seem that the term "Sea Moss" is not totally specific to any one particular genus or species. The two most positive identifications he was able to give me are as follows:

From Webster's Dictionary
    Sea Moss: Any branched marine bryozoan resembling moss.

And....

Sea Moss: A sessile aquatic animal forming mosslike colonies of small polyps each having a curved or circular ridge bearing tentacles; attaches to stones or seaweed and reproduces by budding [ syn: bryozoan, polyzoan, sea mat, moss animal]

There is also a seaweed called Irish Moss (Chondrus crispus) which is used in modelling and beer manufacturing.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

3. hmm

it is neither of those. "sea moss" is a bad common name for the bryozoan type of sea creature and it isnt that, neither is it irish sea moss, totally wrong structure I'm afraid

it is far far more likely a land plant, seed head etc, try the "sea foam" name.

4. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

"Sea Foam"

After further research, I believe it may be Teloxys aristata "Sea Foam" from the family Chenopodiaceae. I see that Chiltern Seeds (a UK seed company) recommends this variety for making model trees and shrubs.

5. he shoots he scores

that is indeed the right plant

6. Marwood

Marwood Member

The plant is; TELOXYS ARISTATA