Identification: What is it?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Sundrop, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I took the pictures at the beginning of June. The two first pictures show the whole length of the plant.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Sundrop

Thanks Daniel. Yes, it looks like Polygonum douglasii. How this could be though that a wetland species grows here on a very dry land?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmm... did you look at the ecology information on my link?

From a range of 0 to 8, with 0 being the most dry habitats to 8 being the most wet habitat, it can grow in conditions from 0 to 6, with an average of 2.0. So, tends to prefer quite dry sites.

5. Sundrop

No, I didn't look. I just trusted the information in the INTRODUCTION section just below the top two pictures: "Polygonum douglasii is a native wetland species". In my understanding wetlands are not dry. Evidently the author of the text on E-Flora page didn't see the contradiction.