What is it and whats wrong with it?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by tdestunis, Feb 19, 2013.

1. tdestunis

tdestunis New Member

Hey everybody i need some expert help here. I have this spruce tree that is 50+ years old. Not sure what kind of spruce and whats wrong with it. I really dont want to cut it down as it is huge and its a beautiful tree. The road side of the tree looks pretty healthy and blueish (facing southwest) but the house facing side of the tree is loosing needles fast and is more greenish colour. IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0016.jpg
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

First two guesses would be shade and deicing salt.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Blue Spruce Picea pungens.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the tree. It looks quite healthy.
    If you will look more closely at the first picture you will see that all the branches on the side facing southwest are bigger and more dense than at the side facing the opposite, northeast side. It is normal. The branches facing southwest are receiving more sunlight, do more photosynthesis and grow stronger. At the northeast side at the bottom the branches receive the least sunlight and can't do enough photosynthesis to keep themselves strong. So they are losing their needles and die.
    The reason for the needles being greener where is less light is the same. To do more photosynthesis with less light the tree produces more chlorophyll there, hence the greener colour.
    My advice is to trim the tree nicely on the side of the house to make it looking nice, and enjoy. There is no need to cut the tree.
    And, of course, do not use salt to fight the snow or ice. I don't share the opinion that the current "problem" is caused by salt, but it is a very good idea to be aware that salt has the potential to cause problems and avoid using it.