Identification: What fungus is this?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by AlliePaca, Jul 2, 2019.

1. AlliePaca

AlliePaca New Member

found this cute little thing popping up under a bunch of tree and I’ve never seen it before and can’t find an accurate description of it online. Do any of you know what it is? The whole cluster is about an inch tall and about the diameter of a half dollar coin.

Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi AlliePaca - Do you by any chance have a shot of the underside, showing how the gills meet the stem? Also, if there were any older ones nearby, did they show any darkening at the outer edges of the cap?
    Can you confirm growing on ground not wood?
    Thanks!
    -frog

3. AlliePaca

AlliePaca New Member

I went outside to get the pictures you requested but it looks like it just up and vanished! The area it was in now has sunlight so whatever it is doesn’t like the sun. Another thing, it looks like it was growing directly on a rock that was mostly submerged in dirt. If there was wood or anything underneath, I wouldn’t know, but it is a forested type area so I wouldn’t doubt it.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks for trying AlliePaca. Overall it looked more like a Parasola than other possibles, but I was hoping that a look at the gills and more under cap and colour information to help confirm which group (e.g. mycenoid, marasmioid or coprinoid genera). Some of the small Marasmiellus and Mycena (sensu lato) species can look like this too.

Sundrop likes this.