What foundation for Greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by WesternWilson, Apr 13, 2009.

1. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

I have recently acquired a small, used greenhouse, made by the Eden company:
    http://www.eden-greenhouses.com/english site/greenhouse models/acorn/acorn.htm

I am only babysitting this for a friend who is in the process of moving...I will likely have it for a year or two.

I have also never had a greenhouse before! So several issues present themselves:

1. I take it some site prep will be necessary for the greenhouse to stand straight and not flex and crack glass etc. I have a site in mind which is not perhaps perfect but does have a fairly good southern exposure. There will be shade in the early am and in the late afternoon.

2. Because I will not have this model forever, and may after living with the site for a bit want to change where I park not only this greenhouse but the one I will surely want to acquire once this one goes to its "really home", I do not want to make a permanent foundation, nor do I want to spend much on the foundation/site prep.

With those issues in mind, can you all advise me on what site prep/foundation/floor solutions would be advisable?

Kindest Regards,
    Janet

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

My greenhouse is on paving stones. I think they are 18 inches square cement stones, like the ones you could use for a sidewalk. The greenhouse is anchored to them. Different greenhouses require different foundations. Some greenhouses you can put directly on the ground, like the one that you can get at Costco.ca.. That was the greenhouse that I really wanted, but they wouldn't it deliver here as I don't have a street address. :(

3. WesternWilson

Jan, that's a pain! Would they not take your 911 call number as a street address?

And thanks for letting me know Costco.ca sells greenhouses...another source to consider against the day I go get my own!

I will look into pavers for a floor.

Regards,
    Janet

4. JanR

JanR Active Member

It is really difficult to get people to deliver stuff here out in the country. All I had for an address, at the time, was the legal description of the property. Now we actually have a number so it might be more feasible. I may try again one day. I was really disappointed that I couldn't get any satisfaction form Costco. I emailed them and all I could get was a stupid reply which I am sure was coming from the US. :(

Costco just sells the greenhouses online and deliver is included in the price. A couple of times a year, they also have them on sale and you can save a couple hundred dollars.

5. plantman56

plantman56 Member

6x 6 pressure treated wood will work ok for the foundation, then a gravel floor- It will be easy to level the wood and you can secure the GH to the wood. Wind can be a factor and it is important to secure the GH to the ground or some foundation.
    Some neighborhoods may require a permit to put in a GH. Hopfully yours does not.

Some questions to ask before you begin. What do you hope to grow? Will it be over the winter, will you heat the GH. Electic heat is usually thr easiest but is expensive. Passive solar is ok but the inside will get cold at night. If you plan to use during the warm months you may require an exhaust fan. What will you do for water and electricity? Both are important. Extension cords are dangerious. Do you plan to eventually own your own GH? Will it be the exact size as this one?

Before you spend the $$ talk to people that own similar GH - maybe your friend. It can be a big investment. Mike

6. WesternWilson

Thanks for that Mike! This greenhouse is free, so I am not going to trick it up at all, except I may run a fan inside in summer. I will learn what I like and dislike on this one and that will help when I go to get a nice one for myself....one with all the bells and whistles! For now, I will just use it to extend my growing season and maybe even harvest tomatoes for a change....

7. Mister Green

Mister Green Active Member

I'm so envious of your greenhouse. Mmmmm, homegrown tomatoes!

8. WesternWilson

Well, ripe tomatoes in your garden are tough to get here on the misty Pacific Coast.

Years ago we were up in the interior of BC and were served sliced fresh tomatoes still warm from the sun. Salted and peppered, they were heavenly. That memory still makes my mouth water.

9. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

WesternWilson
    From my meger experiences wind may be your bigest thing to consider and the way you anchor the GH. I bought a lovely pergola from Costco. (Last of the season and the display model so was cheaper than they had been) I live on the west face of a hill open to the winds coming from the Straights of Juan de Fuca. Tried everything I could think of to tie it down and it still "walked". I guess I'm going to have to redo half the patio and figure out some serious method of tying it down. It's currently stacked behind the garage waiting till I get it figured out......barb