Identification: What Euphorbia? Small thin soft leaves

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by wcutler, Jul 22, 2019.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Is this an identifiable Euphorbia cultivar? Seen last week at Butchart Gardens. The thin leaves are very soft. Maybe 4 cm long? Flowers are small too.
    Euphorbia_ButchartGardens_Cutler_20190717_193341.jpg Euphorbia_ButchartGardens_Cutler_20190717_193347.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Look at cyparissias

wcutler likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thank you. Euphorbia cyparissias. Looks just like it. Cypress spurge. Euphorbia cyparissias - Plant Finder: Midwest Noxious Weed: Do Not Plant. Yes, in red. Presumably I don't need to feel bad about enjoying it on the west coast.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello Wendy - you certainly don't need to feel bad about enjoying this particular euphorbia but you will almost certainly feel bad about planting it in your garden unless you like that wild, every plant for itself look. Euphorbia cyparissias is beguilingly pretty with those amazing chartreuse flowers gracing the soft green foliage but, beware, it can run faster than you can.

wcutler likes this.
  5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    speaking of taking over like Margot wrote above - one euphorbia I really like is E dulcis Chameleon

i have it at the coast

it is small *maybe 12 x 12 inches
    small leaves
    purple green color
    = it is a design team player - not the f0cal point

now - it does seed a bit - but that's ok - it is not like seeding a mass of dandelion
    and it dies back
    and sometimes gets a summer mold mildew

and it needs some water in the hot coast summer

I first acquired this plant years ago in the early days of the plant growers coming up with cute labels and brand theme names and turning gardening in to more than just spring geraniums and fall bulbs

it was a line called "fall magic' - it was beautiful and one "had" to buy the "suite" of plants to make the containers look just right - no surprise there!