What does your garden look like?

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by XkytsuneX, Feb 8, 2008.

1. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

My garden, though not usually this arranged, looks like the attached. That rose dried like that, amazingly. I did nothing but remove all the water when it was almost dry. I was impressed. Obviously, when I bought it for my fiancé, it was bright red, but it kept a surprising amount of color! The other plants are three bamboo, named clockwise starting on the left, Kana (Power), Kaze (Wind), and Chihiro (Thousand Questions, my favorite character in one of my favorite anime, Spirited Away). There's a ribbon plant, as well, an aluminum plant, and a pink polka dot plant in the front. I keep all of these plants on my kitchen table.

So, what do your indoor gardens have in them?

Attached Files:

2. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

Took a photo of my entire garden, dying roses, artificial roses, and all. Again, the dark red rose is not artificial, it dried that way.

Attached Files:

3. natureman

natureman Active Member

This is my indoor garden, pre season veggie starting. For the chilis in pic (some have not sprouted, I've got Capsicum annuum (jalapeno, pequin, royal embers, gusano), Capsicum baccatum (lemon drop, aji amarillo), Capsicum chinense (orange, red habaneros), and Capsicum pubescens (manzano rocoto). (largest trimmed plant is a 2month old lemon drop, evenyually will be a bonsai). Also, there are tomatoe plants I moved into sunroom, and broccoli seeds germinating along with a hybrid rose cutting. They're growing under a 150W rated CFL. In other parts of the house, I have wandering jews, parlor palms, and some cacti.

Attached Files:

4. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

Plastic cups and a wastebasket? That's awesome! I never would have thought about that! I don't really know as much about my plants as you do yours, so naturally, I'm impressed!
    I like cacti, and I have a tomato growing kit, which I plan to start after I demand my money back for the roses that were waterlogged when I bought them. I'll probably use the money to buy a cactus to add to mine. I also need to start growing the wysteria for bonsai. Are wysterias or any of my other plants toxic to pets, do you know?

5. natureman

natureman Active Member

Thanks XkysuneX, I enjoy botany. In a year when I go off to college I hope to major in agricultural biology and possibly biochem.

6. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

That sounds like fun! If I were to go off to college, I think I would do similar, if I didn't focus on my art. After I got my first plant, I just kept adding, showing a real passion for my babies.

7. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Xkytsunex: Years ago I had Nashua as part of my sales territory, but, I can no longer remember what county it is in. Within your county is an 'extension office' of the State University. You can find it in the phone book and chances are they have a "Master Gardener" program. The Master Gardeners are volunteers who work five days a week to answer homeowners plant, lawn, tree, etc. kinds of questions. Along with verbal answers, you will find that they publish lots of good info on just about anything that grows. You will also find that the info you get is 'research based', as opposed to someone just "winging" it.
    I know that here in Manatee County Florida among our handouts are bulletins on the toxicity of various plants and to whom or what they are toxic. Good luck with your search.

8. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

Thanks for the info! It's in Hillsborough county. Do you mean New Hampshire Technical Comunity College? Or Southern New Hampshire University? Either way, small world, eh?
    EDIT: Did my research...it's a good thing we got her some cat grass, as one of my newer plants, ribbon plant, was on the list I found. I guess we'll have to keep her off the table! But she hasn't eaten my bamboo in a long time, so I think we're safe.

9. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Xkyt: You might Google "Land Grant Colleges/Universities" to find out which of the schools in NH is the "Land Grant" school for your state. Their Charter from the Federal Government requires that they help you as a resident of the state.

10. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

Cool, all right. I've had two new additions to my garden. Please see attached. Found them at WalMart! For about $5 total!

Attached Files:

11. natureman

natureman Active Member

Pretty cool, are any of them going to go outside? What kind of light are you giving those plants?

12. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

They're all at a north-facing window. Two of them, in fact. And I doubt it, unless any of them would do better outside. I plan, when I have money, to clear off an island in my kitchen, install a flourescent light above it, and put my plants there, with tall plants protecting the smaller ones that need less light.

13. natureman

natureman Active Member

Ah, don't have south facing window? :(

14. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

Not with a place to put them. The only south facing window in the house has a couch under it. >.< So the best I can do for them is give them north-facing. Unless I'm prepared to knock a hole in my bedroom wall. >.>

15. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi XkytsuneX,

Here's a link to New Hampshire Cooperative Extension Service.
    http://extension.unh.edu/

Here's a link to Hillshire County's Cooperative Extension.
    http://extension.unh.edu/Counties/Hillsboro/Hillsboro.htm

You might want to consider moving the sofa foward a bit and putting a sofa table or plant stand behind it with your plants on it. You might be able to find an old sofa table in a thrift shop and put ceramic tile on the top to protect it from the water. Here's some ideas.
    http://www.designshb.com/images/Website 006_0.jpg
    http://designscb.com/library/TableMaroonSofa1.jpg
    http://cobwebcollection.com/Images/Willow Furniture/Sofa_Hall_Table.jpg
    http://www.staropoliclay.net/images/pottery-061.jpg

You might even be able to make one from an old table base.
    http://www.trendir.com/archives/archeo-ceramica-natural-decor-patented-resin-table-covering.jpg

Newt

16. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll talk to the family I'm staying with. That's the problem with that, it's not my house.

17. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Plants invader....

Attached Files:

18. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

That's lovely! I love the bamboo and the hammock! I hope I can do something similar someday!

19. et2007

et2007 Active Member

XkytsuneX,
    Thanks, that my little get away room. When I get the lazy attack, nothing else like the hammock.

20. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

Sounds grand, I probably won't have a hammock...I'll probably get a nice LaZBoy. n.n

21. et2007

et2007 Active Member

I have a problem with not moving even when I have a lazy attack. My sons used to said " it so ugly mom " now they find out they do carry the same gene.

If you don't mind the strange look, I can take a picture of what I do for plants at the window.

22. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

I don't mind n.n

23. et2007

et2007 Active Member

All windows in my house have plants.

Attached Files:

24. XkytsuneX

XkytsuneX Active Member

Those are some awesome pots! I hope when I have my own house, I can do the same thing! Or at least similar.

25. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Not those pots, I want to show you that a piece of wood extended with two clamp at the end on a widow sill can hold lots of pots for small space indoor garden.