What cute little weed, five-fingered leaves?

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by wcutler, May 28, 2021.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I spent quite a while looking around a rhododendron that now has large flowers faded to white, on the west side of Decaisne above Forrest, musing about ordering in dinner while I kept looking for the label. Anyway, underneath what might be Rhododendron vernicosum is this little weed with palmate leaves around 3 or 4 cm across, paired or in threes, and now I see that on some of the ones with three leaves, one of them looks like a maple leaf. So maybe these charming leaves are cotyledon leaves? But a maple seedling wouldn't put out an unpaired new leaf, would it? There is an Acer davidii in this plot, but I don't think this is an Acer cotyledon shape. Or something like Physocarpus seedling? There isn't one of those in this plot.

There were none of these that were larger or had more leaves than what is shown here. I'm sorry to think that these might be cotyledons and there isn't really a plant that looks like this. But I'm not finding cotyledons that look like this either. There were so many of them, and they looked so charming.
    CuteLeaves_UBCBG-3AC2_Cutler_20210526_141305rotate.jpg

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lime Tilia - can also see the seed shells they germinated from, and some autumn leaves.

3. wcutler

Wow, thanks, Michael. I did see a Tilia growing on the Rhododendron trunk. There isn't one in that bed, but I suppose those seeds don't know the bed boundaries.
    Tilia-on-Rhododendron_UBCBG_Cutler_20210526_140952.jpg
    And yes, when I query tilia cotyledon, a photo like these comes up.

Here's the rhododendron, in case anyone wants to answer that. I looked up every rhododendron in that bed that had Garden Explorer photos, and R. vernicosum is the only one that seemed like it could match.
    Rhododendron-maybe-vernicosum_UBCBG-3AD2_Cutler_20210526_140744.jpg Rhododendron-maybe-vernicosum_UBCBG-3AD2_Cutler_20210526_140818.jpg

4. wcutler

I must have been confused about where I was - I'm pretty certain that this is R. decorum, which I have been looking at in Stanley Park for two weeks trying to get up the nerve to identify.