What can I do for this type of plant??

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Reckoning, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Reckoning

Reckoning Member

I moved into the house recently and this bush/flower plant was pretty and healthy. 2 months later it is doing this and looks very bad. Does it just do this because of winter or does it need lots of water?

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you add a close-up of the leaves and flowers, please?

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forum!
    I second Michael's request.

Could be both winter AND lack of water, or insect pests, or...?

When was the last time this bush received any rain or other moisture? The previous health/sudden decline seems suggestive of shriveling up. Is it truth or an optical delusion that the lower parts are green and the top parts toasted? Appears that it felt well enough to bloom, but has since fallen upon hard times. Anything happen in the past two months that could affect it? Chemical spraying, roots disturbed by digging? Nearby tree cut down, resulting in an abrupt and intense increase in light? Temperature change? Assume that you have checked for unwanted insect visitors...?

If nothing else, your shrubbery seems to me to have outgrown its location and would benefit from a vigorous pruning. How best to accomplish this makeover will be revealed when we ID same.

(Michael...any chance that this thing is some kinda Hibiscus?)

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Bougainvillea I believe.
    Could be frost damage as the parts closest to the
    house are less stressed looking.

5. Reckoning

Reckoning Member

Just snapped the pics real quick sorry for them being at night I can take more in the daylight tomorrow if these don't show enough.
    The flower pic is on the outside of the plant that is in bad condition and the picture of the leaf is on the inside of the plant facing the house which looks good but there is no flowers blooming in that part.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ and this past month has been surprisingly way colder than what we're used to so actually frost damage would make a lot of sense. And yes the outside of the bush is damaged while the inside that is close to the house is looking pretty good. No digging or anything has been done in that area and I'm pretty sure its not insects of any kind.
    Thanks for your help so far!

Attached Files:

6. tsugajunkie

tsugajunkie Active Member

I agree with saltcedar and say it's a bougainvillea. I'll leave it to those familiar with bougs in AZ as to what it should be doing. Mine will drop leaves in winter simply because I take it from it's summer home outside and move it slowly indoors. How has the weather been and how have you watered it?

tj