What are you growing indoors?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ghp, Mar 2, 2011.

1. paphdependent

paphdependent Member

I have a lot in the 'beautiful house plant' category :) And yes, I'm just getting into growing paphs. Currently bird-sitting for a friend, though, and it's already taken a few experimental nibbles out of my leaves. They're not going to like that... >_<
    I've had very good success rates with avocadoes, but would recommend trying a few at a time. Far as I can tell, they just always take a long time - sometimes three to six months - to germinate. I just put the well-cleaned pits in a mug or glass, fill the mug to almost the top of the pit with water, and leave it on a windowsill. (Don't bother with toothpicks, etc.) When the water gets too low or two brown I just replace it, always keeping it 3/4 of the way, or almost to the top of the pit. When the root tip is fairly well-developed (extending out of the pit), I plant it just on the top of the soil and they establish fairly quickly.

2. heli

heli Active Member

AH HA! thought so, I'm just getting into orchids too. I have several "moth" orchids and a brassia golden urchin which is a spider orchid ( I think), that just bloomed again and has a scent. I also just planted some lemon seeds from a eureka lemon tree that I've had for a long time, it's a dwarf but produces fruit year round. Wish I could find the slipper orchids locally but it's very hard to get much of a variety where I live and right now it's to cold to have them shipped. Thanks for your tips on the avacado, I figured as much that they just took awhile to sprout, guess I just get impatient:) It's been great talking to ya! Heli

3. david eugene

david eugene Member

I do have a spider plant in the house. I also have a these beautiful glass containers with succulents. It is really perfect as a center piece in the table. I am also planning to have a kitchen herb garden. :)

4. heli

heli Active Member

I do so love succulents, so much variety and usually easy care. Fresh grown herbs in the kitchen are just the best to cook with! Have fun Heli

5. Christopher Howard

Christopher Howard Active Member

I'm growing lots and lots of cacti and succulents. They were the first plants to get me into gardening, and I've since then dabbled with all different kinds of plants, hard to pick a favorite thing to grow, but I'm sure you all know all about that.
    Though, last October I was in a bad car accident and my back is all jammed up now so I wasn't able to garden outside at all all year this summer. Had(have) a whole lot to do too. So I've started collecting many more cacti and succulents so that I have a garden inside this winter full of plants I love. And this way, I don't feel so bad about not being able to do anything I wanted to do this past summer in the garden.

6. david eugene

david eugene Member

I guess we all share our love for succulents. I do agree that they are really easy to take care of..

7. Christopher Howard

8. Christopher Howard

I dunno that ALL succulents are easy to take care of. Less maintenance, if that's what you mean. But some are very particular about their growing conditions, and those can be very easy to kill if you're not careful.

9. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

hello everyone! i have so many plants to list them all would take forever,lol. some of my favourites would have to be cacti, i recently learned that the new flowering cacti i had was a peyote, so i gave it to a horticulture professor, as they are illegal i believe to own in canada. too bad, as they have pretty flowers...african violets are a fav to experiment with, creating new flowers, bonsai trees of numerous varieties, in cascading,semi-cascading,braided, wedding knot, Celtic knot, lemon trees from seed.
    in my medicinal grow room, i grow my 'medicine', 5 dif varieties, plus stinging nettle,9 varieties of strawberries, baby watermelon, potato, roses, jasmine, tomato and lettuce. being ill for the past 18 years has led to many indoor hobbies, most of which revolve around plant life.
    i put a picture of my exemption so no one gets their knickers in a knot over my 'indoor' plants,lol. ( just to say i am a 42 year old sunday school teacher of 22 years, and am not advocating recreational use in any way. all medicine should be taken under the direction of your physician.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  10. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Coffee
    Pomegranate
    Azalea
    Shamrock
    Hibiscus
    Aloe
    Oleander
    Loquat
    Oxalis
    Garlic
    Sundew
    Pitcher plant
    Mint
    Oregano
    Parsley
    Rosemary
    Violet
    Leucaena somethingorother (I forget)
    Dragon Spitting Pearls (its another one I can't remember. Someone from China will give you a name.)
    Ginko
    I'd send photos if I could find my camera.

Cheers
    Carl
    Forgot the Phalenopsis

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  11. Insectivore

Insectivore Active Member

a ton! I have hibiscus, spider plants, one cactus, air plants (thanks to cagreene!), African violets, my mandivella is wintering inside, wondering jews, sweet potato plants (more than one kind), many other vine plants, mother-in-law tongue (also known as snake plant), a bunch of orchids (I like to get them after their pretty falls off at the store. The ones that come in big, pretty containers are SO expensive and are basically living to die, I get them after their "pretty" falls off for a couple dollars, repot them into a better container and hope to keep them alive despite their early lives. Lol), something called purple passion, Christmas cacti, numerous philodendron.........and who knows what else that I cannot see right now so I cannot remember. Of course, as my name suggests, I have tons of Carnivorous plants, though soon the north american ones will be going in the fridge for the rest of the winter. As for food though, I have a garlic plant growing in a pot, I use it for pest control more than food, or plan to. I am trying to start a lemon, my avocado just FINALLY shot out some roots FINALLY FINALLY!!!!! I have been trying for so long. I may start some tomato seeds before the winter is over.

I have been dying to get myself a dwarf lemon ever since I saw one about a year ago. Limes would be great too, hope you guys are enjoying those! And Cagreene, I love your little bonsai tree! Precious!
    Awesome to see other people have as many plants as me. Lol. You guys are so great! :D

12. Insectivore

it's not wondering, .... it's wandering, but they do seem to wonder about things too, very smart! Lol.

13. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

too bad insectivore, i could have sent you a lemon tree baby with the air plants! i have so many started from seed, as i braid them, tie two in wedding knot with crystals in centre, and have Celtic knotted lemon trees as well. i also have Douglas fir seeds from the 'big tree' in port Renfrew that is said to be the mother of all Douglas fir trees in north america. the plaque says its over 1700 years old....its summer and we are wearing winter clothes because the sun hasn't touched the forest floor in over 1000 years.

Attached Files:

14. Insectivore

WOW!!!!! Awesome. More and more every time. You gotta post a picture of what you do with the lemon trees!!! It sounds awesome!!! Are they dwarfs too?

15. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

my camera is still in the shop, and the trees are presently tied down,( not very attractive),...not sure if they were dwarf to begin with,lol, but they are now! bonsai is the art of forcing large plants to become smaller, to manipulate growth patterns through regular clipping and tying. the only time they are usual not bound is when i take them to a show, i will see if i have any old pictures i can post.
    the picture of the 'big tree', really doesn't do it justice, as you cant get far enough back to take a good picture, too many darn trees in the way! this tree is as wide as a house with a 2 car garage! getting to the tree is a journey of a lifetime, you just cant drive up to it any more, the road was closed to tourist cars in the 1920's and has since been reclaimed by the forest. yet the map still says the road is there.

16. Insectivore

I have been wanting to try making bonsai things. Maybe that will be my next thing. Yea, the tree is rocking! I saw that it was bigger than the picture. Lol.

17. Insectivore

Oh pinenut! You grow coffee? Do you get a crop you can use? How did you start it?

18. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

I do grow coffee. A crop that I can use? Well...no. I've made exactly two cups of coffee from it using the old Nescafe jingle as a guide: 43 beans in every cup...and so on. The first one was ok I guess. Kind of like strong nescafe now that I think about it. The second one was just awful. Of course, I don't have a roaster, so I was just using a frying pan.
    However, the beans are viable, and I've swapped young trees for packages of good coffee from a local roaster. I just gave one to a friend for her restaurant. She'd just given us a cooking lesson at home that was really fun.
    I got the parent plant in a 4 or 6" pot from a local Whitehorse flower shop (no longer in business) some time before 1978. Since then its been to Vancouver by air, back home by trailer, to Calgary in a moving van, and back home again in a tarp covered truck. Its 8' tall and lives in a chinese egg pot.
    If the cherries are fresh bright red I eat them like cherries and soak the beans that are left. If they are older, dark like raisins, I soak them 'til I can get the skin and pulp off, soak them a little longer and then stick them in dirt. Half a bean makes one tree. The flowers seem to be self pollinating because I don't do anything to them. One day I'll look up and there are pretty little white flowers that sort of smell like citrus, and a few weeks later I'll notice green cherries. Magic.
    Cheers
    Carl

19. Insectivore

Thanks! That's cool! You could probably roast them in the oven. That's how we roast peanuts. :D Awesome!!