Identification: What are these three plants?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lilypad, Jun 28, 2005.

1. lilypad

lilypad Member

These three plants were purchased among many others. Only these are still without a name. The first two are very tree-like and the third looks a bit like a begonia. The begonia-like plant has symmetrical leaves though and a silvery green strip in the middle of each leaf. The plant resembles a tight rosette - short stalk and leaves radiate from this close to each other. I cannot find any of these in e.g. Dr Hessayon's books. Maybe they are varieties of something very common but I cannot ID them. Thank you for help.

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

HI there .. i havent found out what the first one is .. but the last pic might b a Episcia it is a type of African Violet .. u might want to google it and see if u can identify your plant .. would it b possible to get a lil clearer pics ? .. hope ufind out what they r ..

Marn

3. lilypad

lilypad Member

Thanks, Marn. The third one indeed looks like a variety of episcia. I have just made a lucky discovery myself. Not sure which episcia though until I get some flowers. Sorry, my digital camera doesn't perform too well. The pictures are as good as they get.

Cheers

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

yw .. u can look it up in google and im sure u will come across it .. they are really kool plants .. try puttin it in a window with morning sun and see if it blooms .. my african violet just started blooming soon after i moved it there .. and i also used peters plant food .. *not endorseing it* and also water it from the bottom if they r anything like african violets .. sure wished i could help ya on the other plant but i dont think i have seen that one b 4 . but a kool looking plant ..

good luck

Marn

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Stumbling onto this old thread...

#2 looks like Schefflera elegantissima 'Bianca'. The silhouette of #1's leaves looks similar to that of Nicodemia diversifolia in the Hessayon book.

6. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

#1 and #2 are both Schefflera elegantissima (#1 may be the cv. 'Olympia'), which is still more commonly known by the old name Dizygotheca elegantissima.

#3 is a Pilea involucrata 'Norfolk,' not an Episcia.