What’s wrong with my aloe?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by AmyJFreitas, Mar 3, 2019.

1. AmyJFreitas

AmyJFreitas New Member

It keeps growing in the center but the outer leaves keep dying.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

That is the way aloes grow. If the older leaves at the bottom do eventually fade and fall off. Aloes that do not get enough sun will develop this way especially quickly. You can try to cut and reroot the top. There are various methods to deal with this illustrated online--basically you cut off the top, allow it to dry a few days and then plant it in a new pot. Then it will need a sunnier spot to grow full and thick. Personally, I don't always mind the leggy contorted growth.

3. AmyJFreitas

AmyJFreitas New Member

Thanks for the response! I don’t mind the way it looks either. Rather than trying to cut and reroot the top would moving it to a sunnier location make the bottom leaves stop dying?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It might slow them dying off, but I don't think they will make new leaves on the stem. I really don't have a lot of experience with aloe. Other sites online suggest growing them in wide shallow pots to let them spread. The pot I tend here does not get quite enough light. The stems have lain down and the tips grow upward toward the light. Several baby plants are filling in the space around the bare stems.