Western Red Cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by brentman, May 14, 2008.

1. brentman

brentman Member

Hello:

Is anyone here familiar with how to differentiate betweeen a standard Western Red Cedar (the ones that grow 100 feet tall in the forests) versus a variety that goes by the name of Excelsa Cedar? From preliminary research I have done online, both types look very similar when young and are difficult to tell apart. Are there any features I should pay attention to? I am confused due to information I have been getting in the marketplace. I have spoken to a couple growers who claim that the Excelsa and standard Western Red Cedar are the same tree. In addition, I was also told by a staff member at a very well known garden center that the Excelsa is the exact same as the trees that grow in the wilderness? I am puzzled. My research tells me differently - that the Excelsa is a smaller version, correct? The last thing I want to have happen is to get stiffed, purchase the wrong tree then in 10 or 20 years come to realize my mistake! BTW, the tree I am seeking is the standard Western Red Cedar, not a smaller version.

This is my very first post. I'm just getting into gardening/landscape so forgive me if there is an obvious answer that I have overlooked. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Brent

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi, believe you are correct 'Excelsa' is a smaller form of Thuja plicata, referred to as Western red cedar. They will grow 3' { 1m.} a year once established and seem to slow down when they get around 30'- 35' {10 -12m.}. Lots of seedlings of the wild ones grow along the roads in rural areas, some of the mature trees aren't looking very good the last few years east of Vancouver.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

most nurseries will stock the variety Excelsa, native nurseries may stock the straight plicata and the excelsa. At a glance they are not easy to tell which is which but if you have them side by side the native (plicata) is usually thinner and a bit 'lanky-er' looking. The Excelsa tends to be more dense, in the long run slower growing as well.

Many trees locally have been suffering with the last few years of long, wet fall, winter spring seasons followed by (except last year) a very dry, summer period. My opinion anyways.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Antique cultivars with pseudobotanical names like 'Atrovirens', 'Excelsa', 'Fastigiata' and 'Virescens' have all had plenty of time to get mixed up with each other in nurseries and also replaced by re-introductions being made under the same names. I suspect that even on the local market alone it may in fact be possible to find several different clones all offered as 'Excelsa'. I once talked to one grower who freely admitted that he was calling each block being sold whatever cultivar name the purchaser was looking for!

While some selections do have slow-growing or dwarf habits beware of nurseries under-representing the size potential of those not specifically described as having been selected FOR smaller growth. It's a funny thing how consistently when one is reading a listing as soon as named forms are encountered suddenly the mature height is a third of that of unselected seedlings of the same species.

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

RonB, I dont see how your post answers the question at all rather than laying doubt and concern about any plants provided by a growing or retailing nursery?

6. Cape Lazo

Cape Lazo Member

Hi Gang

Mixed ideas on planting Thuja plicata in Comox - lots of deer - any thoughts?
    The trees would be 5 feet going in.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Deer will browse these on occasion but they don't seem to be nearly as favored as Thuja occidentalis cultivars. Over multiple acres on the property here in western WA I have noticed one spot along a road where the basal skirt of a native tree has received some attention, with no conspicuous damage to any of numerous other wild specimens.

8. Cape Lazo

Cape Lazo Member

Thanks Ron B
    I'll stick them in the ground and hope for the best.

Sean

9. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

The bucks rub their horns on the tree trunks, damaging the bark, so fencing helps. With 5' trees they may be branched well enough to be OK.

10. Cape Lazo

Cape Lazo Member

Yes, the bucks killed all 21 of my 12 foot Scots pines - but had easy access to the truck as Scots Pines are sparce limbed.
    Thanks.
    Sean

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008