Wendy - West End blossoms VPD horses

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Mar 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    @wcutler & blossom scouting friends

Here’s a short clip (or more appropriately « a clip clop » ) showing view of West End blossoms from perspective of our beautiful VPD Horses (who are stabled in near the traditional rose garden in Stanley Park )

I hope this link works ... fr the official VPD Horses Twitter acct

https://twitter.com/VPDHorses/status/1374772318732316673?s=20

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Georgia, wish I could give that more than one like. Cherry blossom and horses, doesn't get much better than that. Well not for me anyway.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hey, the [edited] cherry and plum blossoms in my 'hood are famous now. Just for the record, I have not been on one of those tours.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe it's time for a haiku about the fallen cherry blossoms and horse apples.

5. Georgia Strait

At the obvious risk of badly pruning what is a special time of year and cultural tradition ... RonB idea is way more fun than gathering up tax paperwork

For Wendy — blossom scout

Pink trees, buildings tall
    Horse walks by leaving rich gifts
    Garden treat this fall
    ——-
    Wendy finds blossom
    Climbed pink tree for closer look
    Horse talked her back down
    ——

Ok i best get one piece of paper on to tax mode -

And in all seriousness - the police horses are walking next to plum trees or cherry ? Your comment above Wendy

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  6. wcutler

I take it back. Those are 'Accolade' cherries at the horse's right ear, pruned to look like plums, on Comox St at the Chilco mini-park. In the background, appearing in the photo in the middle of the street, are plums.

Acerholic, the festival does welcome haiku entries, see March 1-June 1, 2021: Haiku Invitational - Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival (vcbf.ca), but maybe those aren't quite what they had in mind. :)
    They do get entries from many countries, and you're welcome to submit some.

Acerholic likes this.
  7. wcutler

I tried to take the same photo, but I didn't get back far enough. The big tree on the left is Pterocarya fraxinifolia, Caucasian Wing-nut, thought I'd mention since this thread isn't in Ornamental Cherries, and I don't really see any reason to move it there. :) Well, except that I'm posting all these 'Accolade' cherry photos. There are enough of these photos over there.
    Accolade_ComoxChilco_Cutler_20210326_153037.jpg Accolade_ComoxChilco_Cutler_20210326_153230.jpg Accolade_ComoxChilco_Cutler_20210326_153252.jpg Accolade_ComoxChilco_Cutler_20210326_153312.jpg

Acerholic and Georgia Strait like this.
  8. Georgia Strait

That’s beautiful - and the wee touch of Tudor Early 20th Century British Columbia is a nice accent in your photos

I went around my coast cottage town and looked at trees and your co-scout has id’d Some nice ones — the irony is the beautiful tree in a setting one would not normally look (the town works yard?!)

I noted several trees of white blossoms in various subdivisons so I wonder if that is the root stock of what used to be a pink tree.

I know what wild cherries at the coast look like - these are purpose planted white blossom — I would say subdivision built in 1990’s.

9. wcutler

There is not much out now that's white (up the coast), if you're talking about trees you have seen recently. I guess 'Colt' rootstock is a possibility. You might have to look closely to tell if they're plums. Or you can post them for ID in Ornamental Cherries.

10. Georgia Strait

Yes - I may go out tomorrow and see what is ok to photo closely (*ie not private property - no haiku about me :)

11. Georgia Strait

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2021