Weeping Willow roots

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by GaryC29, Apr 15, 2008.

1. GaryC29

GaryC29 Member

I have a Weeping Willow about 25 feet tall. It is in the yard of our 9 year old house. There are two roots that are growing along the top of the ground, and the top inch or so is out of the ground. They are both growing parallel to one another and growing under the common sidewalk for the neighborhood which is about 12 feet from the Willow. I do not wish to replace the sidewalk if the roots cause it to raise and/or crack. If that should occur we would have to cut the roots, and repair the sidewalk. I would like to know if I can cut these roots with out killing the tree. I must do something to keep from cracking sidewalk. What time of year can you cut the roots causing the minimum amount of damage. I could cut one this year and one next year if that would help to possibly save the tree.

2. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

I would not hesitate to cut those two roots. Willows are tough survivors, and yours will have plenty of other roots to support the tree.

3. GaryC29

GaryC29 Member

Olafhenny

Thanks for advise on Weeping Willow roots. I may get to it this week. I apreciate you taking time to read through my short story on roots.

GaryC29@aol.com