weeping Nootka Cypress

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by sonyamohan, Sep 23, 2013.

1. sonyamohan

sonyamohan New Member

I am having a problem with my false Cyprus. I have 4 young trees (3rd summer from a nursery) and this is the second summer that they have started to turn yellow. Apparently they were not in a good spot - too close to a fence and to some pyramid cedars. My landscaper moved them out about 8 ft and gave them more space between each. I thought they were coming back to life but have now noticed they are turning yellow again. I put some Evergreen spike fertilizer around the base and have started to water them more. Will they come back - I am nervous and impatient I guess. Two of the trees have the little green seed balls on the top. Is there anything I can do or just wait it out?

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

They look like they are suffering mainly from lack of sunlight, they don't do well in shade like this. They may remain alive, but won't thicken up and become dense in shade. Also a possibility that root damage and/or being potbound when they were dug at the nursery is causing them problems.

PS I corrected the title, 'Cyprus' is the country, 'Cypress' the plant ;-)

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plants shown are a Sawara cypress cultivar. Fertilizer spikes are expensive and inefficient, as you are paying to have granular fertilizer compressed into spikes when it should be scattered over the entire root zone instead. And since shading is the issue here fertilization may not be called for.