Weeping cypress browning

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by trudibaldwin, Jul 15, 2018.

1. trudibaldwin

trudibaldwin New Member

Hi. I have a 10 foot weeping cypress that we transplanted 14 months ago. After some initial shock the tree has been doing great. However, in the last couple of weeks, I've noticed several brown areas and there are more every day. I've been watering it twice a week - dripping hose for 1 hour - so I don't think it's dry. I live in Narragansett, RI. Can you advise please? Thank you.

2. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Hi Trudi,

It may still be stressed, since it was already quite large when you transplanted it a year ago.
    Hopefully you had a large rootball for such a large tree, if too small, it could be a long time re-booting.
    The first couple of weeks this past winter were quite cold here in the east (Ottawa,Ca.), and probably in RI. as well, …..more stress.
    There was winter burn on many C. nootkas around here, because of that cold spell.
    And now it has been abnormally hot and DRY since June, ….. drought conditions already. So More stress and more shedding.
    On a happier note, I find this is often the time when my Chamys shed, just as they are putting on new growth as well.
    Keep it watered regularly right into the fall and well mulched around the root zone.
    And if possible incorporate some 'Myke' product around the root zone.
    This stuff works quite well with transplants to promote re-rooting.
    Good luck, I collect weeping trees and I love Nootkas.

Richard

3. trudibaldwin

trudibaldwin New Member

Thanks Richard! I should water twice a week with a steady stream for an hour or so? I was careful about keeping mulch away from close to the trunk since I wanted the moisture to get in there but it's ok to do that? I've got a moat set up so the water soaks throuogh. WE have good drainage here. I will look for Myke. Appreciate your help.
    Trudi