Weeping blue atlas cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Yubalover, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Yubalover

Yubalover Member

For years I've admired a trimmed weeping blue atlas cedar in front of a retail store. I've just today purchased my first and am getting mixed instructions for planting, pruning, and care. Could someone please advise? I live in the Sierra Foothills in Northern CA at about 2300 feet elevation with red clay soil.

Many thanks in advance!
    Yubalover[GMAP][/GMAP]

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Should do fine in those conditions. Uncoil any coiled roots at the bottom of the pot before planting, then plant direct into the local soil. Water well for the first summer until it is established.

3. Yubalover

Yubalover Member

Michael, thank you. Two more questions please... if I wanted to keep my new plant short, or rather bonsai-ish... can I and how would I accomplish this? Also, the spot I would like to plant is in front of my house and a major focal spot in the landscape. It is on a hill and has oak trees about 15 - 30 feet away. The spot gets about a half day of sunshine as early morning is shaded by trees and late afternoon by the house. Is this an ok situation or should I make plans to plant in another, more sunny spot?

Thanks!

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

There are several things that can be said about prunng.

But for starters- it will not sprout from bare wood like some woody shrubs, or say, yew. You need to cut and leave some kind of twig or bud.

Try not to remove more than 20% to 30% of the foliage over the span of a year.

5. Yubalover

Yubalover Member

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009