Weeping blue atlas cedar??

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by jastles, Mar 27, 2021.

?

Move the tree ASAP to open area

Poll closed Apr 26, 2021.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jastles

jastles New Member

I planted this last week after instruction from local nursery that being nearby the home is a good idea due to high winds in the area. However, I’m now worried about the homes foundation 15-20 years down the road. Move it ASAP? Don’t worry?

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Unlikely to be a problem, conifers in Pinaceae have few reports of causing damage. Very different matter if it had been a Weeping Willow!

Whether it might look nicer in the longer term with a wider space to grow in, is another matter.

jastles likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Even with pruning - if you know how to handle this particular tree successfully - the planting site is too small.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@jastles good morning and welcome to the forums, first of all what a lovely and interesting tree you have there. It is going to give you decades of amazing shape and colour. A very good purchase IMO.
    Regarding position, my weeping blue atlas cedar is now around 15ft tall and 8 years old. I keep it narrow but still away from my house as it can get to 5ft wide after 10 years. Now that girth is not ideal for where you have planted it as Ron has suggested. So IMO I think I would want to move it into a place in your garden that gives it room to grow and give it the specimen tree appearance it deserves, as Micheal has also suggested.
    Not what you may want to hear but it is best that you hear it now rather than several years down the road.
    Look forward to hearing and seeing your decision.

D

5. jastles

jastles New Member

Thank you for your reply. What are your thoughts on utilizing an arch and training it to overlap the sidewalk? Doable? Do you have any photos of yours at 8yrs old? Thanks for everyone’s reply

6. jastles

jastles New Member

Something along these lines:

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi, yes to train it like those in #6 is always possible, but it takes more than 10 years. Go for it as it does look amazing and great fun training.
    Here is my 8 year old and as you can see it's a slow grower. Mine is going to be kept very narrow and arched.
    IMG_20210328_185055273.jpg IMG_20210328_185108580.jpg