weed to identify

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pgreen18, Sep 26, 2004.

1. pgreen18

pgreen18 Member

Hi, Does anyone know the name of a weed which has long oval-shaped (but thin) leaves, starts with a dandelion-type bloom around May or mid-May, which has five petals surrounding it (not long) and the bloom changes to a tiny bloom a month or two later, which is purple (tinier than the original bloom and not at all the same shape. The blooms are gone now and the seeds are shedding. It's shrub-like and grows in a field and I believe it is the one that has seeds that stick to clothing. Thanks ! (P.S. I'll try to get a picture next year.)

2. Hi pgreen,

Could it be Arctium lappa (burdock)? Just a guess, but some of the features and growth habit you decribe fit the description.....

3. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Hi pgreen,

Could it be Arctium lappa (burdock)?? Just a guess, but some of the features and growth habit that you are describing would fit.

4. pgreen18

pgreen18 Member

No, Climber, I have some burdock, but the leaves are very large on the burdock and these are little, long leaves. They're also dark green. I will try to remember to take pictures when it starts to bloom next year. The stem of this is also shrub-like not stalky like the burdock. (Can you tell I'm a plant expert with this description <grin>). Thanks for responding with your guess.