Weather - whether good or bad

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, Apr 11, 2021.

1. AlainK

AlainK Generous Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for the link, very interesting. I spent about half an hour on it.

Of course, this is not good at all for the people who have lost their lives or even their cattle and property. I saw another report about it on TV today, and it's very saddening. You can put out a fire, but you can't stop the water I remember my mother saying one day...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  2. Margot

Margot Generous Contributor 10 Years

We feel sick thinking about all the suffering going on around us; people and animals too. Here on Vancouver Island we hear reports of long line-ups for food and gas; everyone feels so vulnerable even if they have not experienced any damage first-hand.

@Gerogia Strait . . . I have heard that Russell Farms has been hard hit again, about 21 months after the flood in February 2020 and 14 months after they reopened last year.
    Flood swamps Russell Farm Market as North Cowichan reels from rain - Victoria Times Colonist

wcutler, Georgia Strait and AlainK like this.
  3. togata57

togata57 Contributor 10 Years

Abbotsford, one of Canada’s most intensively and diversely farmed areas, was among places hardest hit. Home to more than 1,200 farms, it supplies half of the dairy, eggs and poultry consumed by British Columbia’s 5.2 million residents.
    Canada floods leave thousands of farm animals dead and more trapped

Communities in western Canada are bracing for more damage as torrential rain is forecasted next week in areas already devastated by heavy flooding.
    Residents brace for torrential rains in already flooded western Canada

Canada storm: floods could lead to country-wide shortages as air force deployed to British Columbia – live

'Once in 500 years' British Columbia flooding leaves behind disaster | Daily Mail Online

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Georgia Strait likes this.
  4. AlainK

What can we do, what can I say ?...

Courage !

Georgia Strait likes this.
  5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    @AlainK
    Thank you for thinking of us
    Merci !
    I hope for farmers and their herds and flocks
    And appreciate the heavy equipment opérateurs and the flaggers and military and so many more

Off the main topic - I was curious about title of Facebook page link posted above because it reminded me of a fantastic old tv show made at the (then circa 1990s) somewhat independent station in Kelowna BC

Mike Roberts was the very popular news anchor and clearly dressed up for this show :)

Bill Barlee (in denim jean jacket) really was like that — tho wore proper dress shirt tie for his job as an elected MLA for Boundary région in our BC legislature (like a state level govt) and was (my opinion) an effective Min of Agriculture Bill Barlee - Wikipedia

if you’re curious about BC etc - look around YouTube etc for Old vidéo copies of this program « gold trails and ghost towns »

Margot likes this.
  6. AlainK

Looks interesting, but 44 minutes and I should already be in bed... I'll watch it tomorrow or at the weekend now ;0)

PS : what I also liked was the photos of "totems". I discovered the culture and arts of the native communities (Haida, Salish, Tlingit,...) rather late in my life but I found it fascinating.

7. Georgia Strait

For those of us who are very curious

This is an excellent YouTube video LINK BELOW

it gets a little bit long esp if one doesn’t know the area

however it’s about taking food from Abbotsford area up to Hope BC

where there are people still sheltering from huge fire that destroyed Lytton this past summer PLUS those stranded by recent events

And then the pilot brings back some people who’ve been « stranded » in Hope

One from Penticton
    One from Bellingham WA
    And - a VIP guest (spoiler: paws)

the huge black smoke at begin is the large RV dealership that literally went up in smoke the other morning

for those who know - that’s just east of Exit 95 Whatcom Road at the base of Sumas Mtn

thé USA border is just a few mile to the right hand side of video

8. Georgia Strait

AlainK, wcutler and maf like this.