Weather - whether good or bad

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Margot

Margot Generous Contributor 10 Years

The Maples section of these Forums has an ongoing thread "What's the Weather Like?" which I'm reluctant to inveigle into with non-maple posts.

So, for anyone who's interested, here is an opportunity to brag or complain or comment on the weather in your area and how it's affecting your garden and gardening practices. This is one of the most pressing issues in our world today - not just gardening.

2. Margot

It was the forecast attached that prompted me to start this thread about our weather experiences wherever we live. At first glance it seems to be a perfect forecast for anyone who loves sunny skies and warm temperatures - who does not? I have to admit, I too am excited about the opportunities ahead to go out in the garden and get things done!

At the same time, I worry that we aren't getting nearly the amount of rain we usually do or that our forests and gardens need. It is shocking how dry the soil has become in what seems like a very short time. The wind is almost always blowing here too which exacerbates the problem.

I wouldn't like this thread to become a 'misery loves company' exercise but, hopefully, an opportunity to share and compare and perhaps learn how to adapt to the realities of a changing world.

Attached Files:

3. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

4. Margot

5. Margot

We keep hearing from members in the UK, France and Belgium that late frosts are a big concern this year, especially for those who grow Japanese maples, and the efforts people are going to to try and protect their trees.

I was shocked just now to see Ian Young's weekly update about his garden in Scotland on the Scottish Rock Garden Club website.
    https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2021Apr141618391629BULB_LOG_1521.pdf

wcutler likes this.
  6. Margot

After days and days of beautiful summer temperatures here on Vancouver Island, we are now faced with at least 8 days of rainy weather. No one should complain of course because we need every drop we can get. Still - the sunshine was wonderful while it lasted.

Attached Files: