Watering tomatoes in containers

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Madi, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Madi

Madi Member

Hi. A bit of a novice here...I wonder if anyone can help me. I am reading so much information (and it is all over the board) about watering my tomatoes and am so worried about growing them and them getting end rot. So, my question is: how much and how often do I water my tomatoes that are in containers in full sun?
    Someone said to give them about a gallon of water a day!!! Not to let them get dry. Somewhere else said to dry out between watering??? Please help. Thank you!! Madi

2. galiano

galiano Active Member

I'm just outside Victoria and have lots of tomatoes in pots in the full sun, so similar conditions to you. I water mine about every day or two depending on the weather. You don't want the soil to be either soaking wet or totally dry. I'd say every day if it's sunny and every few days if it's cloudy. Someone suggested a gallon a day to you - Yikes ! Far too much. I also have mulched mine using grass clippings and that helps keep the soil moist a little longer on the hot days.

As to blossom end rot you'll get lots of suggestions here. It is a lack of calcium into the plant and it helps to water regularly but not overdoing it. Last year at the first sign of it I circled each plant with a bit of lime and watered it in. Seemed to work.

Good luck.

3. JanR

JanR Active Member

I agree with galiano. A gallon of water is way too much. I am growing some tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets and I add an inch or so of water every couple of days. It really depends on how dry it is, as to how often I water. If it is hot and windy which it often is here in Manitoba, I might water everyday. To prevent blossom end rot, last year I crushed up a couple of tums per plant. I didn't have any problem with blossom end rot. The year before, I hadn't used Tums and I did have a problem. You can also use Empsom salts. This year I used Tums on some tomatoes and Empsom Salt on others. I will see if there is any difference between the two. Supposedly there is no scientific evidence showing the either work, but it certainly won't hurt them.

4. Madi

Madi Member

Thank you both. I thought a gallon was pretty excessive! And thanks for the lime/tums tip. I did put some in at transplanting - some kind of calcium the nursery gave me but will keep a close eye. Last year they all got end rot so I am pretty concerned this year. Again, thank you!

5. galiano

galiano Active Member

Jan R I think epsom salts are good for trace elements like magnesium. For calcium you need lime or Tums I think. I have just found out that one of my favourite varieties of tomato, Better Boy, is quite susceptible to blossom rot. It's such a nasty thing to get and usually comes along just when you start admiring how big your tomatoes are. One year I had to throw away about half my crop. I have my fingers crossed this year. Good luck