Watering/Lighting Recommendations

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by bhc7447, Jan 5, 2007.

1. bhc7447

bhc7447 Member

I posted earlier today on the board about a plant that was identified as a green corn plant. I'll attach a couple of photos for those more privy to the specifics of the plant. In any event, this plant only had a few brown tips when it was given to me as a housewarming gift and since then I have been having to clip and prune brown/yellow leaves too frequently for comfort. I am completely confused as to the amount of light and the amount of watering needed to ensure that this plant thrives. The plant is currently in a low-light room off to the side of the window. I have been watering fairly lightly until the soil goes dry before watering it again. Every few days I have wiped down the leaves with a damp cloth to keep dust from building up and to provide a little more humidity but the plant just isn't showing positive signs.

I have tried to research the plant to see what it requires for lighting and watering and to ensure that it has been identified properly as I am pretty clueless with plants but results have varied so much that it's difficult to distinguish what's correct and what's not. I've read anything from keep the soil moist to water once a month. I have also read that the plant can "tolerate" low light but prefers bright light and everything inbetween. As you can imagine, so many contradictions have led to a lot of confusion as to the proper care of this plant. If anyone could help me dispell the myths and ensure this plant stays healthy, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all for your help thus far.

Attached Files:

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

It's a Dracaena of some kind, and needs to mostly dry out between waterings, but try to keep it in a sunny place, but away from heaters (and A/C), and anything you can do to raise the humidity would be great. Don't let it sit in drain water or roots will rot, but do put a wide tray of large stones under the pot, with water in the tray, just never touching the pot, and that will help the humidity.