Waterfall or Germaine's Gyration??

Discussion in 'Maples' started by abezon, Jun 9, 2010.

1. abezon

abezon Member

I need to pick a nice green mounding maple for the high-traffic section of my maple garden. I've narrowed it down to Waterfall or Germaine's Gyration. Is one easier to grow than the other? Hardier? Able to survive fall & spring windstorms? (no salt spray)

I'm located in Ferndale, WA in zone 7. Both planting sites have full sun and will be above traffic on a grassy bank. One plant will be near a Shin Deshojo & a pacific fire circinatum; the other will be near a Shirazz, a Bloodgood, a coral bark, & a 10' rhodi. I'm interested in hardiness, seasonal color compatability and winter interest.

Thanks for your help!

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Welcome to the forum Abezon,

I do not think so

I do not think so

I would depend on the wind speed and how the plant is trained (i.e.: upright, mounded,...)

They are both green during the growing season. Fall colors depend on sun exposure. In full sun 'Germaine's Gyration' may display more reds than 'Waterfall' which is more in the yellows and oranges.

Winter interest in the dissectums depend strongly on the age of the plant and how it has been pruned and trained. If you can buy an aged specimen which has been professionally formed, then it will be a stunning point for Winter interest

I would definitely not place a green dissectum close to a 'Shin deshojo'. I would rather place it near 'Shirazz' or 'Bloodgood'

Gomero

3. abezon

abezon Member

Thanks for the help! How about a Watnong near the shin deshojo/pacific fire?

4. mylesahead

mylesahead Active Member

hi we have a waterfall and it seems to grow very well we are in the northeast and get very cold winters and hot summers,it needs to be watered well in summer,and does not seem to be effected by the winters,we have placed it on the northeast side of the house so it gets morning and some afternoon sun,fall colors range from bright reds to soft yellows hear are a few pics

Attached Files:

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I think that's a better choice.

Gomero