Water Lily X

Discussion in 'Flower Mandalas Project' started by dbookbinder, Mar 22, 2005.

1. dbookbinder

dbookbinder Active Member 10 Years

Suggestions for a complementary quote, a word that these mandala images evoke, or some history or other information about the flower itself are most welcome, as are corrections to my flower identification if I've got it wrong and any other comments you'd care to make.

I'd also appreciate identification of the specific cultivar, if applicable.

Thanks,
    - David
    © 2005, David J. Bookbinder

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey David,

There is something distinct about this image. Not sure why, but it looks less real than some of the other mandelas. I mean it looks like it was not created from a real flower image, although I know it was. Anyway the inner circle of flower petals gives me a feeling of protection or guarding, like a fortress that allows you to look inside but not to enter.

3. dbookbinder

dbookbinder Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, Eric, for your comments. I like the protection/fortress idea. Not sure why this seems less like a flower. The only technical difference is that I composited the image with a black-and-white version, which altered the contrast and saturation. However, I find water lilies to be somewhat other-worldly themselves, and unlike most other flowers, so perhaps that's carried over to this image?

- David