water liliy & pink oriental lily

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by anbsy, Sep 9, 2006.

1. anbsy

anbsy Member

Hi

I live in North Vancouver and new to gardening. I have a water lily which I don't know what should I do for it to prepair for winter.

My other question is that I have a pink oriental lily in pot the flowers are gone and the stem and leaves are going brown too. I was wondering if I can put them in my garden. I love these lilies and if possible I want to grow lots of them in my garden.
    As far as light I have half a day full sun light and some shady areas too.Can you tel me if it is possible and how should care for them?

Thanks a lot for your answers

Anbsy

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I don't know about the water lily, perhaps someone else can help.

The oriental lily can be planted in the garden in a spot with half a day full sun light or even part shade but might grow a bit lanky and will need support. Oriental lilies need very well draining soil, put bulb about 4-6" below the surface and pack the soil so there are no air pockets. You can cut off most of the roots to make it easier to plant. Add some bonemeal in the planting hole when you plant it and again in Spring when they start growing.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  3. Hope

Hope Member

I had water lilies for the first time last year, only a yellow hardy Charlene Strawn, not tropical. I cut them back and put them in the deepest part of the pond and they came back this year. For a tropical it is different.

4. plantlady62

plantlady62 Active Member

Hardy water lilies winter in the bottom of your pond, they should have at least 1 foot of water over the crown. Tropicals need to be brought indoors for the winter. They can be wintered in a plastic shoebox of damp sand, kept in a dry dark spot, closet shelf is good. You need only keep the bulbs which look like little nuts. Bring them into light and warmth to start them growing in spring.