Water filters through my new soil in my houseplants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Woodsprite, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

I have transplanted all of my houseplants as a way to erradicate my fungus gnat infestation. It didn't exactly work for those rascals, however, now the new soil mix allows too much water to filter through too fast.
    Is there a way or a substance I can use to put ON TOP of the planting mix in order to hold the water better?
    Any suggestion would be appreciated! HELP! ;)

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

If you are attempting to control fungus gnats I would not recommend trying to retain too much moisture. Fungus gnats thrive and reproduce in moist soil high in organic matter. If there is no moisture retention in the soil, it is a problem. How recently did you pot up the plants? Was the soil dry when you repotted? In this case it is difficult for the soil to retain moisture, and it will inevitably run through. To water your plants place the pot in the bathtub, or place water in the dish (if it has one) and allow the soil to draw up the moisture. Once the soil is thoroughly moistened you will have less trouble with water running through the next time you water.

If you truly have a moisture retention problem, organic materials (ironically) help retain moisture. However, they are most effective if they are incorporated into the soil.

I know this does not directly answer your question. Perhaps someone else can provide some insight.

Raakel

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

A small ($10.) fan from C. Tire, W-M, etc. can be a big help if kept not pointed directly at the plants (at least not from close up), but not far off. The air circ. will discourage them and help keep the top of the soil dry. Your new mix is great for the plants - you can water more often (if you can't resist the urge :-), but not rot the roots. I do disagree with immersion or wick-up watering however, as it tends to not wash out undesirable or 'old' salt/chemical/soil components that should be flushed, and may still keep lower roots too wet regardless of how dry the top seems - this is old news to bonsai growers who have big problems learning how NOT to treat indoor tropical trees like house plants by watering too often. Also, short term, is it possible to separate the plants to some extent and break the humidity 'bubble' around them? The gnats are really water lovers!

4. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Thank you Raakel and Rima, your responses are invaluable and I will try your suggestions. I'll let you know how it works out!

5. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I've had a lot of trouble with fungus gnats before. I now understand that this problem was almost totally due to my watering habits, not my soil. I know water everything from the bottom, and much less than I did.

My point is that you can change your soil to what ever you like, but if you don't reduce the watering and/or water from the bottom the problem will simply return, again, and again, and again....