Water drainage on balcony

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by lemongirl07, Aug 1, 2007.

1. lemongirl07

lemongirl07 Member

Hello,

I live on the second floor of a condominium complex with a balcony that faces west, where I'm growing a dwarf meyer lemon tree in a large container. I'm having some trouble figuring out how to drain the water that comes out of the drainage holes. I used to have the pot, raised on pot feet, directly on the ground of the balcony. But the water would sometimes take a long time to reach the drainage hole of the balcony, leaving large puddles of water on the floor. I'm concerned that this is not good for the balcony. Since then, I put the pot, on pot feet, on top of a saucer. So now the water collects in the saucer. I have no idea how to empty it since the potted tree is VERY heavy.

I have tried to figure out some sort of funnel system that would collect all the water coming out of the pot and direct it straight to the drain on the balcony, but I have yet to come up with a viable contraption. Any ideas?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

maybe move the tree closer to the drain hole?

3. lemongirl07

lemongirl07 Member

yeah...it's already in the very corner where the drain is. water still pools since our balcony's levelness is kind of off.

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not sure how big and deep your saucer is, but I'm thinking gravy baster or turkey baster? You know those kitchen thingies like a giant eye dropper?

You can also get various gadgets like pumps or siphons, but the simplest solution is often best.

5. lemongirl07

lemongirl07 Member

KarinL - that's actually a great idea!!! Thanks! You are right...simplest is best. I'm going to go find a big turkey baster tomorrow.

6. Bazrio

Bazrio Member

Another option that may be alittle more of a perminent solution in that you would not have to drain your collection dish daily. Would be to drill a small hole in the siding of the collection dish and insert a small clear tubing leading off the the balcony. May work better then having to keep constant attention on the water level in the dish.