Wandering Jew questions

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by LexiieLuii, Oct 1, 2010.

1. LexiieLuii

LexiieLuii Member

My mom just bought me this Wandering Jew today and it's very healty. I placed it on a hook on my bedroom door. I have looked all over the internet on how to care for this plant, but they all say different things. I found this site and I thought that since this is a University site the information here would be accurate. What I would like to know is this:

How often do I water it?
    How much sunlight does it need?
    Where is the best place to keep this plant?
    Should I use a fertilizer? If so how often?
    How often should I trim the leaves?
    How do I trim the leaves?
    Does it need any special care?
    There are a few dead leaves, should I cut them off?

I'm new to plants and the few I have kept before didn't last long. I would very much appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks for reading this.

~Edit~
    I have a cat and a dog. Is this plant posionous to animals? If so which animals is it posionous to?

Can Wandering Jews become damaged by insects or certain weather conditions?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Re: Hello

Your plants botanical name is TRADESCANTIA, and there are about a bazillion kinds. It likes bright indirect light and water when soil is dry about half an inch from the top, so hanging it on the door may be too far from the window. You can also google "Wandering Jew" and get lots more information on plant care.

This site is handy to check out regarding toxicity of plants to animals.
    www.poison.org/prevent/plants.asp.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have rampant wandering Jew in the garden and it is a disaster for dogs that lie in it. Gives them a very bad skin rash. Probably yours will be safe while in a basket.

Liz

4. LexiieLuii

LexiieLuii Member

Thank you all for the replies according to that site it not posionous to animals. And Liz thank your for letting me know what it does to you dogs. I will make sure my dog stays out of it. I thought I would move my Wandering Jew to be infront of my picture windows during the day and on my door at night.