Wandering Jew getting too tall and leggy.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jocemalyn, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jocemalyn

jocemalyn Member

Hi everyone. I got a Wandering Jew plant from my university greenhouse last summer. It has been doing quite well, but my only problem has been how tall it's gotten! I have it staked up at about 12 inches, but it is getting much taller, and just droops down. The plant I got it from in the greenhouse was fairly tall, and not droopy at all. Should I cut it down to a shorter length or just stake it up higher? I have broken off some of the longer branches that got droopy and just stuck them in the dirt next to it, which has worked just fine. I'm just not sure what to do about just chopping the main part of the plant down, because I want it to be able to continue growing. I'm not sure if I can just keep this as a hanging plant or not...I'm afraid it may break if I try to do that. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Any help or advice is very much appreciated! Thank you!

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Wandering Jews are hanging basket plants that are supposed to "droop". They are normally not staked up at all.

M.

3. jocemalyn

jocemalyn Member

LOL, thanks globalist1789. I unstaked it, and let it rest on something a little so it wouldn't put too much stress on the plant at first. But alas, I got home from work today, and the plant had snapped off. Oh well, I just stuck it in a cup of water to root again. I think it got too used to being staked up:P

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

And over here it is a ferral pest. It has come in from neighbours and invaded my good soil and is rampant in part of the garden. It is also classed as a noxious weed. I am having real problems picturing this in a hot house being polite :) If you want it to go up build it a wire tower. Sure likes scrambling up my wire fences.

I asume we are talking about this.

http://www.weeds.asn.au/weeds/txts/wand_jew.htm

Liz

5. mosscampion

mosscampion Active Member

jocemalyn,

Once your plant's cuttings form roots and you get them back in a pot, simply give the plant a hair cut once and while. My wandering jew grows so fast and if you don't like legginess, then you can just cut it off. This will also encourage new growth and more fullness of growth, giving the plant an overall 'healthy' look.