walnut wonder

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by neensy, Sep 12, 2006.

1. neensy

neensy Member

I have a massive walnut tree in my yard, British Columbia, by the ocean. I'm wondering what type of tree it could be and when and how I harvest it. Also, do all walnut trees bear edibles. Thanks.
    Neensy

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some sometimes quite large examples of

Arizona walnut (Juglans major)
    Black walnut (J. nigra)
    Cathay walnut (J. cathayensis)
    English walnut (J. regia)
    Heartnut (J. ailantifolia cordiformis)
    Hybrid English walnut (J. x intermedia)
    Japanese walnut (J. ailantifolia)
    Manchurian walnut (J. mandshurica)
    Northern California black walnut (J. hindsii)
    Paradox walnut (J. 'Paradox')
    Royal hybrid walnut (J. hindsii x J. nigra)
    Texas black walnut (J. microcarpa)

have all been recognized and recorded in this region. We also have some big butternuts (J. cinerea). If your tree is a walnut and the nuts it bears are large enough (and well-filled) they should be quite suitable for eating.

3. neensy

neensy Member

Thankyou Ron, do you know when the right time to harvest is? Should I wait until they fall? Should I harvest before the rains come (hopefully soon) because of mold danger? Do I leave them in the green outer shell for some days, or take those off? I really have no idea. How long before we eat one after all of that? Thanks again.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Juglans regia is Persian Walnut. It's from Persia, not England.

Wait until the nuts fall. Wear disposable gloves when peeling off the green outer shell, otherwise the juice will stain your fingers brown (and it doesn't wash off!).

You can eat the nuts immediately after, though many people prefer to let them dry out a bit to improve the flavour.

5. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

I was reading in a different arborist forum where a tree climber was pruning in a Juglans nigra and broke out in a severe rash after the sawdust landed on his skin. Has anyone else ever heard of this or was he a special case? Someone else wrote that the same thing happened to them. Just curious.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nothing too wonky in the biochemistry of the Juglandaceae, it seems to me re: allergenics - but I'm no expert.

7. neensy

neensy Member

Thankyou Michael F, do I then pick the walnuts after a few have fallen, or wait for them all to fall? There appears to be hundreds and hundreds. Where in Britain are you?
    neensy

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pick them up as they fall (it's easier, too!). Don't leave them on the ground to accumulate before picking up, or you'll find the squirrels and jays will beat you to them. My prediction: you'll be busiest after a windy night.

I'm up in northeastern England, about 70km short of the Scottish border

BTW, quick ident for the commonest walnuts:
    Leaflets 5 or 7 per leaf: Juglans regia
    Leaflets 11-17 per leaf, softly downy: Juglans cinerea
    Leaflets more than 15 per leaf, only thinly hairy or nearly hairless: Juglans nigra