Walla Walla onions in a small planter

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by joZ, Jul 23, 2008.

1. joZ

joZ Active Member

Here is a picture of my walla walls in a small planter.
    This is the first time I've ever grown anything edible so the information that I've read here is very helpful. I have a couple questions though...

1) Even after reading this information I am unclear as to "when" to pull out the onions. What I've read is "Mature garden onions are ready for harvesting when the green top withers, falls over and starts to turn brown. "

But as you can see by this picture, the tops don't seem to be withering or turning brown...or are they?

Yes, I can see quite clearly that they are very over-crowded. So... it is oK to pull out some to make room for more growth? Are they ok to eat at this smaller stage? Will they grow alot bigger?

2) What does the "curing" process actually do? Why can't you just pull them and eat them right away?

Thanks, in advance, as always, for your insight.

Attached Files:

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

It looks like the tops are starting to fall over, so they will probably start to die. It might be a bit late to thin them out. You could try and remove some, but you don't want to disturb the roots of the other onions. Maybe try cutting them off at the roots.

There is no reason why you can't eat them when they are young. I do it all the time. The curing process just enables you to store them longer.