W Network

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by jimmyq, Dec 18, 2008.

1. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Primarily I'd be interested in if he was going to give accurate information. Am I going to be able to tell this from a submission video? Plenty of talking hort-heads already at work here, with uneven results. What we need is someone who is consistently reliable.

3. jimmyq

Well I did email him after watching the short video as he called a few sprigs of Salix matsudana 'Torulosa', tortured willow, he responded that in his native land of Oz, thats an acceptable common name, go figure!

I am sure the show will try to have the right blend of knowledge, artsy fartsy and sexiness to attract as broad a viewership as possible. At this stage I think its just a personality and looks thing. Who knows how much the host will get to control the actual content.

I auditioned for a show a couple years ago, cute gal that was an interior designer looking for a sidekick, she asked me if western red cedar could be used for fences and decking.... I didnt get the part, I guess I have the proverbial face for radio. :D

4. Ron B

The expert with sidekick (who is apparently supposed to represent the viewers) may be a bit of a formula. The Canadian Gardener had David (expert) with Bob (sidekick). Maybe they even pioneered this approach, or were at least early in the game. Now we are being shown Gardening with Ciscoe which features Ciscoe (expert) with Meeghan (sidekick). Others?

5. jimmyq

it does seem the Johnny and Ed routine is somewhat popular

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson . . . and I'd bet they weren't the first

7. Ron B

I was asking about others with gardening shows.