Vulcan Magnolia not blooming

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Lesylee, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Lesylee

Lesylee Member

Hi, I live in a suburb 30 miles north of the Dallas, Texas metromess with a Hardiness Zone between 7A and 8B. Approximately 5 years ago, I purchased a Vulcan Magnolia via mail order from a nursery in California. In January two years later, I dug up Vulcan, planted him in a large pot and moved him 25 miles west to temporary housing. In December of that year, Vulcan was planted in the yard of our new home. He is experiencing his third Spring but hasn't found it necessary to bloom. In fact, he has never bloomed. He receives regular watering and fertilizer for acid-loving plants. I haven't given up on him - YET - because I thought the moves put him into shock. BUT, after 5 years of no blooms, I am close to giving up on him and either ordering Vulcan II or trying another variety. He is about 5 foot tall, has beautiful green leaves and is very bushy but I WANT FLOWERS!

I would appreciate receiving tips on what I might be doing wrong. Yes, I am willing to accept that it's my fault Vulcan is not blooming. :-)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If not a seedling roostock (the graft having failed) or seedling of another kind of magnolia sent to you by mistake then it is being prevented from setting flower buds. Quite possibly it wasn't quite big enough to bloom when you dug it up and then the transplanting delayed things further. If you think it is growing well and has good color then check foliage against other 'Vulcan' that may be present in the area (such as at public collection or in a nursery) to see if leaf shape and other details are the same (pick some from yours and take to other plant(s) to compare up close).