Identification: Voodoo Lily

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by destalee79, Oct 31, 2004.

1. destalee79

destalee79 Member

I have a Voodoo Lily, and I am not doing very good with it so far. It was doing fine until red spiders got it and i tried to wipe them off. i did finally get rid of them. But now the leaves are turning yellow like it is getting to much water. However sometimes it gets really limp like it not getting enough. so in this case so far I have been darned if I do and darned if I don't. Can anyone tell me how to properly care for this thing??

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dragon Arum (Dracunculus vulgaris) is being called Voodoo Lily by some, although conventionally that common name would belong to Sauromatum guttatum (S. venosum). Both are bulbs whose foliage naturally dies off in autumn. Cultural tips would be best given after it was determined what plant, exactly you are attempting to grow there in Arkansas. Try searching online or looking in illustrated plant encyclopedias for the two above species to see if one of these is what you have, the second sources in particular will usually also tell how to grow them.

3. jgibson

jgibson Member

I am just a novice at plant care. But if you would take a look at my postings it will help you ID your plant.Read the postings there is alot of info from very in tune folks.And one thing I can tell you ,my plant did not do well in direct sun!