viviparous begonia

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Douglas Justice, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I came across this viviparous begonia at Las Pozas (Edward James's garden) in Xilitla, Mexico last week. I'm afraid the images aren't great—it was growing in a pot in a very shady area. The peltate leaves are about 30 cm long on 45 cm petioles, and the plantlets (so small I nearly missed them) arise above the petiole attachment. Anyone recognize the species? Anyone know a good on-line begonia reference?

Las Pozas? Wow!

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

One that fits the size/ shape leaf is Begonia nelumbiifolia. Common name Lily pad Begonia.
    As to it being viviparous I cannot find anything about that!
    That baby leaf is so cute. Had to have a good close look to spot it.

http://www.begonia.rochefort.fr/ImBot/nelumbiifolia.jpg

This site is one that I have used before.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&tbs=isch:1

In the next pics the shape of the leaf shows it holding flower debis right in the middle.. Do you think may be a seed used this as compost to germinate in? Or is that a rubbish idea?

http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/05/8/8991.jpg

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Thank you! The on-line descriptions and images seem right, but I'm curious that I can't find mention anywhere of foliar plantlets for the species.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't know what I think I'm doing in this thread, but what about Begonia peltifolia, formerly known as incana? There's a description and photo on this page, and about 2/3 of the way down on http://www.factopia.com/b/begonia_gardening.html it lists this with this description:
    When you propagate begonias by laying a leaf on soil with cuts in the veins, and new plants grow from the cut areas, is that a type of viviparity?

5. Douglas Justice

Sort of, but not really. Vivipary in this case would refer to the development of tissues (buds) that produce whole, detachable plants (plantlets) in the normal course of the life-cycle. See Tolmiea menziesii (piggy-back plant, youth-on-age), Asplenium bulbiferum (mother of thousands) or Kalanchoe daigremontiana (Mexican hat plant). The capacity to produce new plants from the cut begonia leaf is more akin to making a new plant from a stem cutting. In the begonia from Los Pozas (whatever it is, it certainly isn't B. peltifolia), there is a definite meristem present on the normal leaf that has the capacity to produce a new plant. Ultimately, viviparous plants either drop the plantlets whole or the stems bend down to the ground where the plantlet has an opportunity to root. With most other begonias, they'll never produce plantlets unless their veins are cut and laid on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I would agree with Silver Surfer on the species of this begonia - B. nelumbiifolia.
    I did find a reference to Begonia hispida and epiphyllous leaves, but the link from google doesn't show the info on the page that comes up:
    Epiphylly in Angiosperms. I didn't want to sign up for the free account to read the rest.
    There are photos of epiphyllous begonia leaves in google search for Begonia hispida, not for B. nelumbiifolia. Maybe the article suggests some other species.

7. ceramik

ceramik Active Member

Daniel Mosquin likes this.