Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

BOTH my wife and the new Hosta are cute !!!

Georgia Strait likes this.
  2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    That’s funny!
    Garden grammar :)

Misplaced modifiers. Comma conundrums, pronoun confusion

The scary thing is how often auto- and spell check tools are relied upon as first line of practice vs a back-up tool after we’ve used our own brains.

The Hosta is very sweet - a couple of yrs ago it was all the style to have those mini hostas and my neighbor of boundless garden enthusiasm and a generous lot size has several - one called “mouse ears “ is sweet.

3. Acerholic

Thanks Georgia, we have mouse ears also. These types certainly suit a smaller space.

4. Acerholic

Good morning, in my garden a few minutes ago I was about to have elevenses and was welcomed by the fragrance of another Daphne I have. It is Daphne x transatlantica. Daphne Eternal fragrance. I do love the continuation of perfume all Spring and Summer, especially as we sit outside during these two wonderful seasons.
    Daphne eternal fragrance Daphne x transatlantica 201.JPG
    But you have to have something that is just there to look pretty as well, so here are my Bacopa monnieri Bacopa White, that I planted out a few moments ago, as the frosts have now gone, fingers crossed...
    Bacopa white  Bacopa monnieri 201.JPG

Nik, Georgia Strait and pmurphy like this.
  5. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

The weather was nice yesterday so I thought I'd take a few more photos...

Weeping larch
    Barberry - I thought it was Warty Barberry but the flowers look wrong; any thoughts as to the variety?
    Spider azalea - starting to flower
    Dwarf quince - this is one of the plants I had to move while the fence was being installed and obviously it didn't mind being moved
    Mexican mock orange
    Chocolate vine
    Currant
    Japanese fiber banana - I uncovered them a week ago and you can see how much they've grown...
    Red huckleberry - this is a BC native and very hard to establish (I've had it since 2014 and it has finally decided to not only grow but will be producing fruit for the first time)
    Giant rhubarb
    Scarlet bottlebrush - it's flowering early this year
    Dead horse or pig's butt arum - they are finally putting on some growth so I hope in a year or so they too will flower
    Japanese aralia or paperplant - lots of new growth
    Golden-club (aquatic plant)
    Euphorbia - unknown variety so I'm open to suggestions...
    Bitter orange
    Red delicious apple

Attached Files:

Nik, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

Good evening P, Berberis microphylla ?

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Weeping Japanese larch
    Berberis microphylla - although its flowers are more orange the main thing about it that is wrong actually is the leaves
    Choisya x dewitteana being an intentional hybrid originating in Britain makes "Mexican" mock orange kind of inapt
    Habit and leaf shots of spurge would be best if it is to be identified here

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm in love with that larch.
    I also really like the rhododendron - all those hairs. And those red things that will open up to be petals shaped pretty much like the leaves, which seems to be pretty much what stenopetalum means (narrow petals). I even remember where to find the one at UBCBG.

9. Nik

Nik Contributor

Still not much happening in our yard. I think the highlight is the variegated Sempervivum baby compared to its mother (first two pictures), and another Sempervivum variety showing two very different rosettes. The rest is ferns, mosses and wild violets, they make our front yard look violet this time of year. There are some white ones too.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

Parts of your garden N remind me of a Bronte novel. I'm seeing Wuthering Heights!!! So dramatic, absolutely amazing. Love it.

Nik likes this.
  11. Nik

Nik Contributor

Few more shots from close to our back deck. Lichens and mosses. French tarragon is doing well, so is the German thyme. And Japanese painted ferns volunteers that I transplanted in this full sun location, hoping to achieve more vibrant colors. The result was the opposite, they turn much more greener in full sun, but still grow quite well.

Attached Files:

pmurphy, Georgia Strait and Acerholic like this.
  12. Georgia Strait

Gosh hard to imagine Christmas 4 months ago ... and, oh yes, new yr resolutions and what was that plan?!

Meanwhile in the rainforest - it’s Hosta-mania! And all the other exciting aspects of PacNW spring like bird songs and long daylight hours (tho it’s raining today)

HOSTAS
    i prefer the bright green and some with a bit of white / cream

I like the jade color hostas - just not a color that fits in for me at this time ... and I tend to steer away fr the yellow trim

So I have my favorites — and some mystery hostas

I know people have slug and deer troubles - so far so good in that department

I like how these hostas stand up very well to our hot dry and now often forest fire smoke summers at the coast

Many are planted in large pots so I hand water fr rain barrel

List:
    2nd picture w ferns — Christmas Cheer - a dark green middle with light green trim - quite a big hosta when it is fully out in summer in good soil

4th photo - still a tightly furled leaf - Empress Wu - starts out green and becomes a bit jade as it matures and becomes very large plant overall - I have it in a pot so it’s somewhat moderate size

And in the other pix - not sure if ordered correctly

One of my fav - Midwest Magic

And just the name made me buy this: Guacamole (yes, a hosta ... avocados are way too expensive :)

I am sure I have Sum & Substance (if nothing else, I like the name)

(Last photo) And there is one in here with quite a yellow cast - its name is visible in label - Ben Vernooy. It is yellower than I wished for so I have it in a pot with yellow rock plant foliage as a focal point

(First photo) Thé rock plant closeup is to show detail - I like it because it looks good all winter and summer so when hostas die back - i still have something of interest

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  13. Georgia Strait

@Margot - your place is gorgeous - country manicured! Very Vanc Island east coast side

Is that one of your Garry Oak in the spirea photo ? (Quercus garryana -spell?)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  14. Georgia Strait

I hope you are able to have some festive tea and cupcakes w a neighbor in the front driveway for a bday « party » small scale

JPG attached — This book circa 1961 has always been one of my fav - British anthropomorphized animals no less.

Good old Harold! His kind of party chaos looks fun tho it’d be hard to live with longterm -

It is interesting to see the late Victorian / Edwardian style of plants (eg standard roses etc) In thé illustrations - and also some « cottagecore »

Attached Files:

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

Thanks Georgia, but it will be just 4 from our family socially distanced in our back garden for a get together, but hey, it's better than 2020.
    Regarding the book, the old ones are the best. And so very innocent.
    I wonder if the Victorian and Edwardian gardens will return, as they say everything in life goes in circles.

16. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Crabapple (Malus transitoria 'Raindrops') is as lovely in bud as in flower.

I've never seen so many flower buds on my Acer 'Osakazuki'; just had to share. (Easier to see if you double-click on the picture.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    pmurphy, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  17. wcutler

And then you can click the arrow at the upper right to open it in a new tab, and then mousing over the photo gives you a (+), so you can click the photo to expand it.

Margot likes this.
  18. Ron B

In the US where it originated GOLDEN RAINDROPS is a registered trademark used to sell 'Schmidtcutleaf'.

Golden Raindrops® Crabapple (jfschmidt.com)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2021
  19. Margot

Yes, I notice I left out the word 'Golden' in the name. Should have written: (Malus transitoria 'Golden Raindrops') I just found out today that the species name, transitoria, means 'short-lived' and hope that doesn't refer the tree itself - maybe just the flowers or fruit.

I did a lot of research before buying the tree and am very happy with it.

20. Ron B

Should have written: (Malus transitoria 'Golden Raindrops')

Not if the combination GOLDEN RAINDROPS ('Schmidtcutleaf') is being upheld in Canada.

21. Margot

Well, in this case, I hope it isn't upheld Canada . . . I'd rather tell my garden visitors, "This a Golden Raindrops tree" than "This is a Schmidtcutleaf."

22. Ron B

You could still call it GOLDEN RAINDROPS, with registered trademarks such as this actually being much more analogous to common names than cultivar names anyway. Because originating nurseries using such combinations intentionally make trademarked names accessible and cultivar names often hard to say. Or otherwise not lending themselves to casual use. This is done so as to encourage the recurring employment of the trademarked names with their associated legal benefits.

GOLDEN RAINDROPS crabapple tree: Malus transitoria 'Schmidtcutleaf'

Golden rain tree: Koelreuteria paniculata

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  23. Margot

And, Golden chain tree: Laburnum. Good thing I'm not easily confused. :-(

By the way, do you know what the word 'transitoria' in 'Malus transitoria refers to? Transitoria, meaning, 'short-lived' hopefully doesn't refer to the tree itself.

24. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

A few interesting close ups...

Newly emerged leaves on maple 'Jeddeloh Orange'
    Violet 'Freckles'
    Looking down on an emerging Griffith's cobra lily
    Upright wild ginger - likes dry, dappled shade
    Rhododendron 'Nancy Evans' - once open the flowers are yellow
    New fronds on Christmas fern

Attached Files:

25. wcutler

When that's open, I'm requesting that you post this photo of the buds, with a habit photo, flowers and leaves in the Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.) forum.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.