Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Arlette, your Clematis integrifolia rosea is our favourite of your collection, but all are lovely.

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

This one's for you @Acerholic, an unknown variety of hosta growing under my camelia.

This plant predates the "hosta craze". Besides being large - it covers a good square meter - the only other thing I can tell you about it is that in spring the leaves have a thick yellow edge with green in the center and then they change to this solid green by late spring /early summer.

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

@pmurphy, good evening P and thankyou. It looks so wonderfully happy in that location. The solid green leaves are perfect to show off those beautiful flowers.

4. Acerholic

This is my Hosta white feather just picking up after an earlier attack by slugs. The egg shells are doing their bit now. And a bee in the flower of my Hosta Revolution. Used to be covered in bees but nowadays just the one is a photo opportunity.

Attached Files:

Nik and Arlette like this.
  5. pmurphy

Christmas in July.
    My little Christmas cactus - one of only 2 houseplants that I have - spends the summer outside on the deck and it decided to flower :)

Attached Files:

Nik, Arlette, Acerholic and 1 other person like this.
  6. Acerholic

@pmurphy, good morning P. Stunning photo.

7. Acerholic

My new Hosta 'June' is out in flower today for the first time. Haven't seen it before, I'm really pleased!!

Attached Files:

8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hosta 'June' and Hosta 'Tattoo' are 2 of my favourites . . . had both and lost both . . . expensive additions to my compost pile. Your photo tempts me to try again.

9. Acerholic

@Margot, a new one for me this year together with Praying hands that I hope will be in flower in the next couple of days.
    Glad my Hosta June brought back nice memories for you Margot.

Go on spoil yourself

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The Schlumbergera shown above looks like it belongs to the Truncata Group which

although common names are not applied consistently, may be distinguished as Thanksgiving cactus, crab cactus or claw cactus

Schlumbergera - Wikipedia

11. pmurphy

Well after a couple of days working to repair and extend irrigation lines (and dealing with 7 flats of donated annuals) I had a chance to relax and take more photos.

Rough-leaf hydrangea
    Rough-leaf hydrangea
    Trumpet vine
    Staghorn sumac
    Orange lanceleaf maple
    'The Perfect Wave' cobra lily
    Swamp lily - starting to open
    'New Love' clematis
    Chameleon plant
    Scabious
    Strawflower
    Fuchsia Mexican blueberry 'Blutini'
    Bunny tails grass
    The final image is an imposter - a stalk of phlox got knocked over and then grew up through this small hosta

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  12. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@pmurphy
    Well, do you know what I'm telling you? Take a rest more often so we can enjoy the view with these beautiful blooms !!!
    Ciao, ciao!

13. Acerholic

Some changes in colour in my garden today, this is Leucothoe 'Scarletta'.
    Not a big plant, but adds interest at a time there are a lot of greens.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

Just started to prepare evening meal, when outside my kitchen window my Clematis ' Guernsey cream ' has a new flower for the second flush. Only the one, but IMO that's OK.

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy and Arlette like this.
  15. Acerholic

I have posted my grasses before except one that I did not know the name of until this evening. I've had it for 30 years and can now post it as Tulbaghia violacea variegata ' Agapanthus' or 'Society garlic', as Wendy just informed me.
    A dear late friend gave me this plant not knowing what it is, he would be so pleased I can now give it a name. Thanks Ron and Wendy.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  16. Acerholic

Good morning, Summer rain has the most beautiful smell IMO and my wife and I like to sit under our sheltered area and just watch it. 'So cooling'!!
    I thought I would add some of my Hostas that also enjoyed the rain early this morning.
    Please excuse a couple of mark's from slugs, the egg shells have not been wholly successful this year.

Attached Files:

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  17. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Acerholic Ciao!! Your Hostas are a real sight !!!!
    For snails you can try an alternative to egg shells choosing from bran, coffee grounds, ash, salt and sawdust. All elements that prevent them from crawling.

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

@Arlette, good morning Arlette and thankyou for your kind words and advice about my Hostas.

19. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

During my to day walk in the garden I've found a nasty surprise on a rose bud: two Gonocerus acuteangulatus (male and female) otherwise known as the Nocciolo bug which, unlike other families, carries out its entire life cycle on the Ncciolo plant.
    But then what are they doing on my rose!!!!!!!!!!.
    I was delighted that Pentatomidae e Coreidae had not yet been seen also because I had buried some cloves of garlic at the foot of my roses and sprayed the decoction always with garlic on the plants and instead it seems to begin!
    20160504_153204-1-1-2-1 (2).jpg

20. Acerholic

@Arlette, now that's an interesting Box bug Arlette . They are in the UK but not widespread. They are happier in warmer environments.
    But as you say, "what are they doing on your rose". Definatly monitor to see if there is an increase in this species in your area.

21. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Acerholic We have already spoken by phone with some neighbors and they told us that they had had some already in the previous two years. So in the area there are even if not at the level of infestation.
    Obviously the garlic used underground and for decoctions in the past years was better.
    What do I want to say: there is no longer the garlic of the past !!!!!
    Have a good evening!

22. Acerholic

@Arlette, a re application of Garlic spray will keep these at bay.
    Have a good evening yourself.

23. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Acerholic It is already macerating (or steeping?): it is on the menu for the roses tomorrow evening !!!!!!!

Ciao, ciao!!!

Acerholic likes this.
  24. pmurphy

It's still opening...
    Crinum x powellii - swamp lily

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

@pmurphy, such a shame the perfume cannot be posted as well as your beautiful flower and photo P. Such delicate pinks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.