Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Arlette , Thankyou Arlette. Very glad you like it.

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

A few more things flowering, or starting to flower...

'White Giant' calla lily (very difficult to take photos as the flower is over 1.5m tall, and is almost as tall as me)
    Ornamental morning glory (not the invasive kind)
    'The Perfect Wave' cobra lily
    Heirloom blue wheat (blue coloration is starting to appear)
    Rough leaf hydrangea
    A different perspective on bear's breeches

Attached Files:

Margot, Nik, Arlette and 1 other person like this.
  3. Acerholic

Good evening @pmurphy, my wife pressed the like button at seeing the beautiful Calla lily, ( her favourite plant). Stunning photos and the Heirloom blue wheat is amazing. 'Love it'.
    Really dull evening here in England and your photos have brightened it up for us. Thankyou

4. pmurphy

Here is another of the calla lily, enjoy...

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

@pmurphy, from my wife "its gorgeous", 'THANKYOU 'made her evening.

6. Acerholic

A couple of Hostas in my garden this morning, Revolution and June.
    They have enjoyed the overnight rain.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Just to add something different in my garden my Pinus 'Mugo'. We love the contrast that pines give to our maples.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  8. pmurphy

Well I had to do some running around today to pick up some materials for a project and just happened to find some ferns I don't have.
    First stop at Rona where I found a Korean rock fern, so I bought it. Next stop at Garden Works to get some peas and lettuce plants...but of course I couldn't leave without checking out the ferns. A few weeks back @Nik got me on a quest where he shared photos of Onoclea sensibilis, and lo and behold they had some! But they also had deer fern which has always been a favorite of mine but hard to find (without digging one up). Needless to say I left spending more than I planned.
    But here are photos of my latest acquisitions...

Onoclea sensibilis - sensitive fern
    Blechnum spicant - deer fern (it gets planted tomorrow)
    Polystichum tsus-simense - Korean rock fern

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and wcutler like this.
  9. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Good morning to those who pass by!
    I would like to propose a virtual tour in a rather particular garden that I really made years ago, a beautiful experience that I wish to all those who love plants and painting ...
    Unfortunately I had to resort to a video because my photos were lost over time and in the various movings.
    I'm talking about Claude Monet's garden in Giverny, the garden of the great painter-gardener, as well as his house, which arouse a strong emotion of humanly lived places.
    Even in the presence of other visitors it seems to be alone to walk those paths, to stop on japanese bridge to admire the water lilies, to try to recognize the various flowers in the apparent disorder of the flowering meadows (bluebells, begonias, beautiful at night, poppies , hemerocallys …… ..).
    There is a magical atmosphere and it almost seems that all of a sudden you can also meet Monet who with his gardener-apron and straw hat to protect himself from the sun, armed with shears, here he eliminates a flower that has now faded, there a broken twig.
    Then, back in the house, armed this time with brushes and colors, he transfers to the canvas the same emotions felt by him (and by the visitor many years later).

Monet said that if he didn't do the painter he would be a gardener and that without the flowers he wouldn't have painted!!! In every house he inhabited he always cared for a green and floral space, small or large.
    The many paintings of this garden and its individual parts and the numerous letters in which Monet gave indications on what to plant and what to eradicate, when he was away from home, were the indispensable maps that allowed to bring the garden back to its former glory, faithfully reproducing, as far as possible, the arrangement of plants and flowers and all the artificial and natural elements that still characterize it today.

Knowing that I love Monet, some friends told me about a book that I immediately purchased
    https://image.anobii.com/images/0/0/d/d0/d06/d060/01d06025dd902916de.jpg

Linnea, the protagonist, is an 8-year-old girl who loves flowers and Monet met in the books of a neighbor, a retired gardener. With him, he leaves for Giverny and through their speeches during the trip you get to know a lot about the artist, his family, the pink house and the wonderful garden of Giverny as well as his artistic thought ..
    From the book, born as a work for children, they took a video that I f link for those who have children and want to show it to them. Even if it is a little "slow" and the kids today are "dynamic"!

pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  10. Acerholic

@Arlette, good morning Arlette, if anybody has seen some of my postings in the past, I have referred to Claude Monet as my favourite artist. To wake up this morning with a tour of his garden to watch is absolutly wonderful and I thank you.
    The sun is shining outside of my house this morning and the wind has dropped, it's going to be a good day.

11. Acerholic

@pmurphy, good morning, I went out to photograph a maple at a garden centre yesterday for ID purposes and came home with a large maple in my car. We just cant stop ourselves lol.
    Lovely ferns btw, we are gradually purchasing these to underplant our maples along with new varieties of Hosta.
    Think we will be looking for the Blechnum spicant.
    I've just sent you a PM btw.

12. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

A personal good morning to you @Acerholic
    Monet........ his "affirmation" with his works that painting were not only to faithfully represent what you see but bring back on canvas the impression that is also drawn from the effects of light on it with scratching brushstrokes that yield nothing to the sweetness of the forms but if you look in the right perspective exalt it all...............

Well! I'm glad the sun shines on your garden. Here too my coffee taken, early in the morning, in the face at dawn was cheered by the omen of a serene day! One might say what more do you want from life?

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

@Arlette, I couldn't agree more about Monet and you have a wonderful day also.

14. Acerholic

Just two in my garden this morning, both babies but I like watching things grow, so that's OK for me.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  15. pmurphy

I took a wander this morning and am amazed at the color still showing. I don't know if it's because of COVID but this year I've taken time to stop and really look at, and appreciate, the plants in my gardens.

Eucomis bicolor - variegated pineapple lily
    Hydrangea - this plant is well over 25 years old so the variety is unknown but I find placing large spikes in the ground around it adds to the color
    Phlox - again these plants have been around for a very long time; my understanding is they were originally dug from the side of the road in the interior.
    Astilbe chinensis
    Kadsura japonica - variegated kadsura; evergreen and always looks lovely growing over the waterfall
    Triosteum pinnatifidum - white feverwort developing fruit
    Crocosmia

The last image I would like some help identifying, possibly some sort of ground orchid?
    I acquired the plant about 6 years ago as a "rescue". I was only told "it has pretty purple flowers"; I liked it for the leaves. It's been flowering for a couple of years now but the flowers only last about a day and I always seem to miss that day. This year I've been watching it like a hawk, and today it flowered.

Attached Files:

Arlette, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

@pmurphy, good evening P, the plants in your garden are looking lovely, so much variety of colour.
    The last photo could well be Chinese Ground Orchid 'Bletilla striata', but not positive as the photo of the flower is side on. Beautiful anyway.

17. pmurphy

I was wondering about that but it doesn't seem to have the color.

Attached Files:

18. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It's exactly the colour shown on my query, at least in your photo.
    bletilla striata - Bing

19. Acerholic

@pmurphy, yes agreed P, yours, is so vivid. Was worth watching it like a hawk to see and get a photo to share.

20. pmurphy

After comparing photos I don't think they are the same plant; the form is total different. First 3 photos are mine, last is bletilla striata from Wikipedia.
    Perhaps I'll post photos under "plant identification" forum.

Attached Files:

21. pmurphy

The unknown plant appears to be a variety of Roscoea, " an exotic cousin to the Ginger" - thanks to Ron B.

22. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

I agree with pmurphy, it could be Roscoea auricolata.

23. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

It is true that there is always clear behind the clouds! Together with poor Rosa Fredreric Mistral we suffered the June flowering together, destroyed as it was by every enemy who passed through the garden.
    38eab8e4-d23a-425b-9e9d-f0ad89caa3ae.jpg

But with great force he reacted and the usual one is back !!!!
    Mistral sec fiori 4 (3).jpg Mistral  sec fiorit 2 (2).jpg

Nistral sec fior 3 (2).jpg

Never despair!!!

24. pmurphy

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”― Alphonse Karr

Still more color to be found, not as exotic but still inspiring...

Sweet Williams, dianthus barbatus
    Spiderwort, tradescantia virginiana
    Blanket flower, gallardia
    Triple daylily, hemerocallis 'Flore Pleno'
    And some little alpine strawberries (Fragaria vesca) that found the perfect spot; under the protective backward curving thorns of my bitter orange, citrus trifoliata 'Flying Dragon'. The thorns will allow you put your hand in but bringing it back out is another thing...but I did brave the thorns for a bowl full of sweet tasting fruit. :)

Attached Files:

Margot, Arlette and Acerholic like this.
  25. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

20150604_070524.jpg Delphinium & Co.

Allium 2015.jpg Allium Cerinthe major (2).jpg Cerinthe major
    purpurescent
    Gaillardia.jpg Gaillardia girasoli giganti.jpg Sunflowers

Girasoli giganti dal basso.jpg Giant Sunflowers Lewisia cotyledon rosa (2).jpg Lawisia cotyledon

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.