Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Yes we love it too Margot, but over the years my wife and I have had to pull out so many many babies. But it's worth it IMO, it just sways so gracefully in the Summer breeze.

2. Nik

Nik Contributor

Sensitive fern, Onoclea sensibilis, which grows wild in the yard. All of the ferns in our area propagate freely, even Japanese painted ferns. I tend to remove most of these, because they can be too much, and I jokingly call it “imposter” fern, since the young plants look remarkably similar to royal fern, Osmunda regalis, which I always admire and try to encourage to spread more in the yard.

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

You are correct, D!

4. Acerholic

Hurrah, I got one right lol

I got it right,

5. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I thought it looked like royal fern but not quite right. It is a very pretty fern and makes me wish I had some - I've never seen any in our local garden centers (now I'll have to start a new hunt).

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Three pictures of small blooms in the yard this morning.

Attached Files:

Margot, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

What a wonderful photo no3. I'm almost there with you Nik.

8. Nik

Nik Contributor

Lobelia cardinalis, grows wild in our yard and is capable of pulling hummingbirds out of the sky. It has the most vivid and clear red color that I have ever seen in Nature. If anyone has a better example of intense red flower, that is better than this, I would love to see it. The color is so saturated, that my phone has trouble focusing on the flowers.
    This year I decided to propagate it and from the tiny seeds that I collected (and stratified in the fridge all winter) I now have seedlings at different stages of development. When they become larger I will transplant them into the stream in our front yard, where the “mother” plants are.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Margot, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

Agreed Nik, that is possibly the brightest red in the plant world , but you have thrown down a challenge, Lol. What a bonus of also enticing the beautiful hummingbird bird. Two beauties for the price of one.

Daniel Mosquin and Nik like this.
  10. Acerholic

Here are some of my Hostas now in flower or about to be in my garden a moments ago. Hosta Revolution, Patriot, Flavocircinalis x 2 and Mouse Ears.

Attached Files:

Margot, pmurphy and Nik like this.
  11. Nik

Nik Contributor

Lovely Hostas, D! I can never grow them in our yard, the deer simply LOVE them. They never touch ferns though, so I have plenty of those. Except polypody, they munch on polypody in the winter.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

Hi Nik, your fern looks so natural 'once again' in your garden. My wife and I enjoy your clever planting so much, we really look forward to your postings. The wild life is amazing also.
    The Polybody is so upright and easily seen, the deer are hungry in Winter and will go for food not normally in their diet.
    Thankyou for liking my Hostas.

Nik likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Each year on our wedding anniversary my wife and I buy a plant for our garden and today it's this one, Hypericaceae family Hypericum x inodorum 'Hypericum Magical Grace'. A compact semi evergreen variety that's new to us.

Attached Files:

Nik and Margot like this.
  14. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

How sweet, thankyou Wendy.

16. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

These are some of the plants in bloom in my garden now. The cooler temperatures have encouraged them to bloom longer - still never as long as I would like.

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

Good evening Margot, lovely Summer photos, something is having some nice lunch in photo 7. Leaf cutter bees ???

18. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Yes, leafcutter bees. They come every year and I don't at all mind sharing - love to see them in action but they're never there when I am.

19. Acerholic

Same here with my Cherry Laurel. But as you say they are welcome visitors. Can't say the same for the Aphids.

20. wcutler

@Margot, I loved the peek at your garden behind the Acanthus. That looks beautiful.

21. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Leaves of Acanthus are more like those of H. mollis

22. wcutler

Thank you, Ron, a question I've had for at least a few years. There is so much to look at on those plants, I never got around to the leaves to recognize the difference. If I lurk in the right place long enough, things get answered.

23. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Here's a smile for the day...I found a small onion growing amongst my Alstroemeria 'Princess Eliane' (Peruvian lily)

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

Good morning @pmurphy ,what a great photo and yes it is a smile to start the day. Love your Lily btw. Perfume as well ??

25. Acerholic

I had to add this one that has popped up in between ours and our neighbous garden this last few days. Neither of us have planted it. Very strange !!
    It's an Acanthus mollis. Rather pretty.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.